Dr. T. Colvin, K.S.G.
It is with profound regret that we announce the death of Dr. Thomas Colvin, K.S.G., M.D., M.S., J.P., one of the most gifted and beloved members of the Catholic community, which occurred in Glasgow after a few hours' illness on New Year's Eve.
Stricken with a heart attack on the previous day, his condition was found to be grave. As he lay on his death-bed he was visited by Archbishop Mackintosh, of Glasgow, leader of the community which he had served selflessly and nobly for over half a century.
As the Archbishop entered the room the dying man tried to sit up in bed to bid him welcome. Gently the Archbishop pressed him back on his pillow, telling him that he must not tire himself. Dr. Colvin smiled. He said that he would be quite well, and wouldn't be at all surprised if he lived to be a hundred.
He died the next day in his 78th year.
GLASGOW BORA' Dr. Colvin was born within a stone's throw of Glasgow Cross. His father was a Scottish convert and his mother an Irish Catholic. One of his cousins is the Rev. John Colvin, M.A., B.D., of the Church of Scotland. From his mother, Dr. Colvin no doubt inherited his intense Irish sympathies, which had always been evident in his long and distinguished public career.
Educated by the Marist Brothers in St. Andrew's and St. Alphonsus's School, Greendyke Street, he left school at an early age and began life as an office boy.
Graduating Bachelor of Medicine and Master of Surgery with distinction at Glasgow University, he obtained an important post as resident physician to the City of London Hospital for Chest Diseases. After a year as a resident he did post-eraduate work in mid-wifery in the famous Rotunda Hospital. Dublin. Returning to his native city he built up by his skill and hard work one of the largest medical practices in Glasgow. He was elected physician to the Glasgow Victoria Dispensary, and also physician to the Glasgow Central Dispensary.
HIS PART IN THE BUBONIC PLAGUE In 1900 the whole of Great Britain was startled by a report that, after an absence of 300 years from her shores, the dreaded Bubonic plague, which in past ages had decimated continents, had appeared in Glasgow. The part that Dr. Colvin played in the early detection and prompt isolation of the first three known cases made his name famous throughout the whole medical world. The Lancet of 1900, in a leading article, said: " We publish in another column a minute description of the cases from the pen of Dr. Thomas Colvin. To the fact that Dr. Colvin was called to these cases the City of Glasgow probably owed a debt of untold gratitude."
Dr. Colvin's public work began 60 years ago when he was elected secretary to St. Alphoneus's C.Y.M.S. In 1882 he was sent as a delegate to the first C.Y.M.S. Conference. which was held at Chester on the Dee.
Dr. Colvin attended no less than 50 annual conferences of the C.Y.M.S: He read his first conference paper in 1883 at a conference in Manchester under the presidency of the Right Rev. Dr. Vaughan, the then Bishop of Salford, who afterwards became Cardinal Vaughan.
Dr. Colvin's work for St, Luke's Catholic Medical Guild was equally fruitful. He founded the Glasgow branch, of which he was the first Master. He also founded a branch in Edinburgh. In 1914 he was unanimously chosen as the Master of the Guild for the whole of Great Britain, and guided the destinies of the Guild during the critical years of the Great War.
For his great work in defence of religion, and especially for his writings on medicomoral problems, Dr. Colvin was in 1922, by His Holiness Pope Pius XI, created a Knight of the Illustrious Order of St. Gregory the Great.
Among Dr. Colvin's other important medical appointments was that of medical adviser to the Vicariate of the Archdiocese of Glasgow. He was one of the oldest Justices of the Peace for the City of Glasgow. On more than one occasion he was asked both by the Moderates and by Labour to stand for municipal honours, but he always declined on account of his devotion to the medical profession.
Mere de Chantal
The Sisters of the Convent of the Sacred Heart, Church Road, Barnes, have sustained a grievous loss by the death of their Mother Superior, Mere de Chantal, at the age of 81 years.
Born in 1859, she entered the Order at the
age of 18. For 22 years she taught in France and became directress of three different boarding schools. In 1904 she founded the convent at Church Road, Barnes, but a few months' ill-health forced her to return to France, where she continued her educational work until 1926. In that year she returned to Barnes and replaced Mother Marie Leon, of beloved memory.
Mbre de Chantal worked hard for the prosperity of the convent and the school, but the war brought a heavy burden of worry, which she bore with great fortitude. The convent was cut off from the mother convent near Rouen in France, when the Germans occupied the French coast.
Her death was due to heart failure. She was buried at Mortlake Catholic Cemetery adjoining St. Mary Magdalen's church, on January 2nd. The Requiem Mass was said by the Rev. Fr. F. R. Ryan, Rector of St. Osmund's, Barnes, who was assisted by the Rev. Canon E. Burt and the Rev. Fr. E West.
Captain H. J. A. Throckmorton, R.N.
Captain Herbert J. A. Throckmorton, R.N., retd., whose death is announced at his home at The Grange, Beccles, Suffolk, aged 68, was third son of Captain Sir Richard C. A. Throckmorton, the tenth Baronet, and uncle of the present Baronet, and was educated at Fort Augustus.
Entering the Navy at an early age, Captain Throckniorton retired in 1919. He had become a lieutenant in 1898, a lieutenantcommander in 1906, and commander in 1917. During the Great War he was in command of H.M.S. Havelock.
Interment was on Saturday, following Requiem Mass at St. Benet's, Beccles.
Mr. W. Dalglish Bellasis
Readers will learn with regret of the death of Mr. William Dalglish Bellasis, J.P., which occurred on January 1. A Requiem for the repose of his soul was celebrated at Goring on Saturday, followed by funeral at Acton Burnell.
Born in 1853, the third son of Sergeant Behests, the late Mr. Dalglish Bellasis was educated at the Oratory School, and was authorised by Royal Licence to take the name of Dalglish before Bellasis. He was Gold Staff Officer at the Coronation of Edward VII.
Twice married, Mr. Dalglish Bellasis' first wife was the daughter of Thomas Walmesley, of Lilystone Hall, Essex, who died in 1888, leaving him four sons and four daughters. His second wife, whom he married in 1892, was Marie Sophie Nicholson, daughter of the Marquis de Guerry de Lauret, who, in 1830, left France with Charles X and eventually settled and died in Australia. She was the widow of J. Campsie Dalglish, of Wandare, N.S.W., and died in 1919.
Mr. J. N. Herlihy
Mr. John Newman Herlihy, formerly editor of the " Irish Press," who has died in a London hospital following an operation, aged 77, was a native of Killedy, Co.
Limerick. He had a notable journalistic career.
At an early age he joined the staff of the Cork Herald," and later became editor of that journal. Afterwards he obtained a position on the London " Standard," and some years later returned to Cork, where he was first editor of the " Cork Free Press " Subsequently he joined the Parliamentary Gallery staff of the Press Association, with which he remained for 20 years. He also contributed to leading magazines. On retiring from the Press Association he became editor of the " Irish Press," and held that position for three years, retiring two years ago.
Mr. E. Shine
Mr. Eugene Shine died on January 5, at St. Kevin's Park, Dublin, aged 92. He was the father of the Bishop of Middlesbrough ; another son is Professor Shine, of University College, Dublin.