After Compline on Sunday at St. Peter's Church. Winchester. Bishop King of Portsmouth consecrated the new 4-cwt. Sacred Heart statue, recently erected above the new Sacred Heart Altar which was built in 1951.
Canon S. J. Mullarkey, parish priest, was assisted by five strong men of the parish to catty the carved alabaster statue into the church and fix it into a niche purposely left above the altar. The sculptor was Austrianborn Mr. Theodore Kerns.
Oswestry's parish priest for the past 22 years, Fr. Ralph Chapman, will celebrate his golden jubilee on July 16. Bishop Murphy of Shrewsbury will preach at the jubilee Mass, and there will be a presentation in the evening.