Page 7, 10th June 1949

10th June 1949
Page 7
Page 7, 10th June 1949 — LEGION OF MARY HOLDS NATIONAL CONGRESS
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

The Legion Of Mary Has 8,000 Members

Page 7 from 16th December 1949

Bishop Praises The 'legion'

Page 10 from 5th October 1962

A New Guild For Priests' Housekeepers

Page 7 from 13th September 1957

Legion Gives Thanks At Walsingham

Page 7 from 10th September 1954

Leeds Legion Of Mary

Page 3 from 9th October 1964

LEGION OF MARY HOLDS NATIONAL CONGRESS

From a Special Correspondent A three-day National Congress of the Legion of Mary in England and Wales was held at the Digby Stuart Training College, Roehampton, last week-end.

Nearly every Comitium and Curia (diocesan and district council) and isolated Praesidium in England and Wales was represented, besides two members from the Praesidium at St. Aubin, Jersey. Among the guests were Mr. James Cummins, Secretary of the Concilium, the International Council in Dublin, and Mr. James O'Sullivan, President of the Senatus of Scotland.

'rhe representatives quickly entered upon practical discussion of various aspects of their work and membership, in which difficulties were freely ventilated and experiences exchanged. One session of the Congress was devoted to conversion work, the emphasis in this work, as in all Legion activity, is upon personal contact.

On Whit Sunday morning at the Solemn High Mass the Rev. R. Crook, Spiritual Director of the Senatus of England, spoke of the 120 lay folk who had been present on the Day of Pentecost when the power of the Holy Spirit was poured down on the Infant Church, and thus showed that the laity were from the first associated in a subordinate but essential capacity in the spread of the Kingdom.

THE APOSTOLIC DELEGATE Archbishop Godfrey, Apostolic Delegate, visited the Congress and said that the Holy Father was looking forward to the coming Holy Year as a year of renewal, a year of the great return and of the great pardon. The Apostolic Delegate urged the Legionaries to intensify their efforts and to call with confidence upon the powerful help of Our Blessed Lady to assist them in their task.

In a review of the present position of the Legion it was reported that there are now 821 praesidia in England and Wales with 7,000 active and 39,000 auxiliary members. During the past 15 active members of the Lesion have left to study for the Priesthood and 30 have entered Convents.

Among the many works undertaken mention was made of the running of hostels for down-and-out women and girls, and those in need ' of special help, the organisation of days of recollection for men. the visitations of prisons and lodginghouses and work for E.V.W.'s and Poles which is aimed at bringing them more fully into the Catholic life of the country. During the year two new Diocesan Councils have been established, at Leeds and Cardiff.

Guides Send Pope Spiritual Bouquet

Catholic Girl Guides from the dioceses of Westminster. Southwark. Plymouth. Brentwood, Cardiff, Clifton. Hexham and Newcastle and Salford contributed to a Spiritual Bouquest sent to the Pope on the occasion of his Sacerdotal Golden Jubilee.

Dame Vera Laughton Mathews, Chairman of the Catholic Guide Advisory Council has received a reply from the Vatican, in which the Pope expresses his deep appreciation and imparts to all His special Apostolic Blessing.

Peverell Church Is Consecrated

On Monday Mgr. Cirinishaw, Bishop of Plymouth, consecrated the Church of St. Edward the Confessor, Peverell, Plymouth. First opened in 1910 the building was completed in 1933 by the late Canon Denis Noonan, and has cost £20,000.

Over fifty priests and a large number of laity attended. The Bishop consecrated the High Altar (St, Edward's) and the Sacred Heart and Lady Altars were consecrated by the Abbot of Buckfast and Mgr. Canon Mahoney. V.G., respectively.

After the Solemn Pontifical Mass and Te Deum, a luncheon followed where the guests included Mgr. E. Dewey. C.F1.E., V.G.. R.N.. and the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress of Plymouth.

The Bishop stressed the need for churches in the extensive new housing estates now being developed round the city; and the Lord Mayor agreed that churches should he built with homes and schools. The Rev. John P. Haslip, parish priest, thanked the Bishop and all those who had helped to complete so well the work of nearly forty years.




blog comments powered by Disqus