IN a semi-circular building with two galleries built 100 years ago as a Nonconformist chapel, in Queensway, Bayswater, but now converted into the Church of Our Lady, Queen of Heaven, Cardinal Griffin will assist at a High Mass at 7 o'clock on Sunday evening, when the church will be solemnly opened.
It is to be a chapel-of-ease to St. Mary of the Angels, Bayswater, the large West London parish under the direction of the Oblates of St. Charles, and will hold between 600 to 700 people.
The building passed from the Nonconformists to the Ethical Society, from whom the Oblates acquired it in March.
For the present it will be served from St. Mary of the Angels, hut later one of the Oblate Fathers will take up permanent residence in an adjacent presbytery.
The first Oblates of St. Charles, a community of priests who offer themselves to the Bishop of the diocese for any work he would like to give them, were founded in 1578 by Cardinal St. Charles Borromeo.
The Westminster foundation was established in 1857 by Cardinal Wiceman, who appointed Dr. (later Cardinal) Manning to be its superior. The work was to be the care of poor in the West End of London, with headquarters at St. Mary of the Angels', Bayswater.
From there they built churches and schools and formed the parishes of St. Francis, Notting Hill, Our Lady of the Holy Souls, Kensal New Town, Our Lady of Sorrows, Paddington, and Our Lady of Light, Clacton-on-Sea.