Page 14, 11th November 1938

11th November 1938
Page 14
Page 14, 11th November 1938 — CORBY'S NEW CHURCH OPENED
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Locations: Carfin

Share


Related articles

A " Fairy Tale" Steel City Corby's Amazing Growth

Page 7 from 20th June 1941

L000 Catholics In A Little Wooden Church Mgr. Youens...

Page 14 from 9th July 1937

Progress At Corby The Workers Flock To Mass In Hundreds

Page 15 from 10th September 1937

The Good Samaritan Of Corby

Page 7 from 10th May 1996

No Grant For The `steel-town' School

Page 5 from 4th July 1952

CORBY'S NEW CHURCH OPENED

From a Special Correspondent

CORBY.

Sunday, November 6, witnessed an outstanding event in the life history of this mushroom steel town, where only four years ago Catholicism was but an echo from a distant pre-Reformation past.

The new modern church, with seating accommodation for 600, was filled to overflowing at the opening ceremonies by a congregation representing fourteen nationalities. now united by their common faith.

The church was blessed and dedicated to Our Lady of Walsingham by Mgr. Laurence Youens, Bishop of Northampton. The door was opened with a golden key bearing the Bishop's coat-of-arms and presented by the architect, Mr. E. Bowes Norris, F.R.I.B.A.

Solemn High Mass was sung by the parish priest, the Rev. R. E. Underwood, M.A., assisted by the Rev. John Goodwin, of Market Harborough, and the Rev. Francis Rudd, assistant parish priest.

The deacons to the Bishop at the Throne were two Dominican Fathers from Laxton Priory.

The parish of Corby was formed from the parishes of Kettering and Peterborough and out of respect for that fact the Rev. Fr. Hunting, of Kettering, and the Rev. Joseph Rudderham, of Peterborough, were also in attendance on his Lordship.

In the afternoon Solemn Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament was given by the Very Rev. Canon Taylor, of Carfin, Scotland.

In the evening a talk on St. Therese, with the Blessing of the Congregation with the relics of the Saint, was also given by Canon Taylor.

Preaching at the High Mass, the Bishop said that he well remembered a day in August, 1934, when the late Cardinal Bourne, surrounded by Archbishops, Bishops and 12,000 people, brought back devotion to Our Lady of Walsingham to Walsingham itself. The devotion bad been splendidly received ever since, and vople had gone back to Walsingham, not a few at a time, but thousands together.

The Bishop went on to say it was a joyous day for Fr. Underwood, who had laboured so confidently that they might enjoy such a beautiful church. It was also a great day for the parishioners of Corby, for they now had a church of which they might well feel proud and could look upon it as a home.

The church was so beautiful that it deserved the crowning grace of consecration. It has taken a little over a year to complete, and has cost £10,000.




blog comments powered by Disqus