The Rev. A. H. Pollen, Cong. Orat.
One of the few remaining links with Cardinal Newman disappears with the death on Saturday last, in his eightieth year, of Fr. Anthony H. Pollen, of the Birmingham Oratory. Well versed in the German language and literature, he excelled, too, at music, playing with equal facility the organ, piano, violin, 'cello, end double bass, and having bequeathed among other notable compositions a polyphonic Mass for four voices, frequently tendered at Westminster Cathedral and at the Oratory,
Fr. Pollen came from a family which has had long and conspicuous associations with
the Navy. In 1915 he joined the Senior Service as a chaplain and until the end of the Great War he served on many battleships. He was in action at the Battle of Jutland, on the " Warspite," being awarded the D.S.O. for gallantry. He is believed to he the only Naval chaplain in that war to he so decorated.
After hostilities had ceased he remained for a while in the Navy and conducted several Naval pilgrimages to the famous shrine of St. James of Compostello, in Spain, and while on these cruises he went out of his way to give Spaniards their first contact with the British Navy. Sailors loved him.
Coming to the Oratory School in 1875, Fr, Pollen joined the community in 1883,
and was ordained in 1889. He took an immediate interest in the foundation of St. Philip's Grammar School, which was opened ill 1887, and of which he became SubPre fect .
A fellow OraLorian writes of Fr. Pollen as followe; " He was beloved by all who knew him, being ever most remarkable for his simplicity and humility, never doing himself justice, or putting himself forward, but always self-effacing, and retiring, a man of great power and ability, whose memory will be long held in benediction by many friends."
A Dirge was sung at the Oratory on Monday night, and a Requiem Mass on Tuesday preceded the interment at Rednal, where Cardinal Newman is buried.
Fr. Innocent Apap, 0.P., S.T.M.
On the eve of Rosary Sunday a cable from Malta brought the news of the death of Fr. Innocent Apap. Fr. Apap was born in Malta seventy-seven years ago, and priestly work had taken him far beyond the boundaries of the little island home he loved so much. Since 1907 he worked in England, chiefly in London, where he endeared himself to so many by his rare charm and sympathy. He was many years on the Board of Censors of the Westminster diocese, and his profound theological knowledge was enhanced by the gift of an unusual memory. Last winter he returned to Malta, and his death took place on October 5.
Baron de Vitrolles
WAS FRENCH AMBASSADOR TO HOLLAND Solemn Requiem was celebrated at Notre Dame de France, Leicester Place, on Monday, for the late French Ambassador to the Netherlands, Baron d'Arnauld de Vitrolles; victim of an accident in the black-out last week. He was run over by a vehicle in Hamilton Place, Piccadilly.
Baron de Vilrolles came to London with Queen Wilhelmina after the German invasion of Holland as the accredited representative of the democratic French Republic.
He was 60 years of age, and leaves wife and children who. being resident in France, were not able to be present at the funeral.
The deceased Baron's diplomatic relations with the Dutch Government ceased after the formation nf the Vichy Government.
The Diplomatic Corps attended in number. Queen Wilhelmina and Prince Bernhard were each represented. Admiral Masilier. too, sent a representative.
The " deuillants " or absent family were represented by M. ('heriier, French Charge d'Affaires, M. Jalinque, Consul or France, and M. Bouillet, of the French Embassy, Magnificent wreaths from Queen Wilhelmina, Prince Bernhard, the French Embassy, Navy and Colony covered the coffin.
The British Press made no reference to the ceremony.
Lieut.-Col. W. R. Chichester
By the death on Saturday of Limit.Colonel Walter Raleigh Chichester, 0.13.E., of The Grange. Claines, Worcestershire has lost one who had been prominent in public life since he came to live in the county in 1919.
The son of Captain Nugent Chichester, of the Dragoon Guards of Calvereigh, Devon, Colonel Chichester joined the Army in 1891, and became a very popular officer He served in the Boer War, and again went out to South Africa in 1907 lie was afterwards stationed as Senior Major at Dover. Colonel Chichester was severely wounded and taken prisoner in 1914, and had a leg amputated by a German surgeon For many years Colonel Chichester, who was 70, had been a member of Worcestershire County Council, and a magistrate. He was Deputy-Lieutenant of the County.
Colonel Chichester was a most devout Catholic, and there is a private chapel at The Grange, a privilege the family have had since the French Revolution when they gave hospitality to some refugee priests.
Requiern Mass at St. George's Church, Worcester, preceded the interment at the Sacred Heart Church, Droitwich, on Tuesday,
The Rev. L. Killeen
The Rev. Laurence Killeen died at a nursing home at Burton-on-Trent on September 26. Born at Leeds 46 years ago, Father Killeen was educated at the Leeds Catholic College, of which he was one of the earliest students, and he was the first student of that College to be raised to the
priesthood. He was ordained at Oscott College in 1917.
He served as curate at Wednesbury, Leamington Spa, and Wolverhampton, and later as Parish Priest at Northfield, Birmingham; St. Joseph's, Wolverhampton; St. Patrick's, Stafford; and at Haunton. His chief memorial is the Holy Rosary Schools, which with St. Joseph's Presbytery, he built in the face of great difficulties during his Rectorship of St. Joseph's, Wolverhampton.
Father Killeen endeared himself to his parishioners by his kindly disposition and his solicitude for them in all their troubles. The Archdiocese of Birmingham has lost a most humble and saintly priest, and all who were ever his parishioners have lost a sincere and very dear friend.
The funeral took place at Ilaunton on September 28, when Requiem Mass was celebrated by Very Rev. Canon Roskell in the presence of the Archbishop of Birmingham, and Many priests of the Archdiocese.
The Rev. P. Reynolds
The death occurred on September 27, at Heythrop College, of the Rev. Patrick Reynolds, a retired priest of the Birmingham Archdiocese. After Dirge and Requiem at Heythrop, the funeral took place at Holy Trinity, Chipping Norton, where he was parish priest from August, 1920, till his retirement in June, 1936, when he 'went to live at Heythrop. Fr. Reynolds was nearly 87 years old, and was ordained 62 years ago.
He had previously been parish priest for many years at Hethe, Bicester, and in his earlier days had also served at Tunstall, Blackmore Park, Wolverhampton, Foxcote. and St. Leonards.
Bro. Joseph Daly
IRISH FRANCISCAN T.O.R.
Friends of Brother Joseph Daly, of the Monastery of the Third Order Regular of St. Francis at Mount Bellew, Eire, will leant with regret of his death which occurred recently in his eightieth year, and during the administration of the Last Rites.
Brother Joseph's name has been associated for over half a century with the Franciscan Monastery and the educational work carried on there. Not a few men who have done good work for Ireland received their early inspiration from the teaching of the young Franciscan Brother who was in charge of the " Intermediate School " of early days which included many neophytes of the American branches of the Franciscan Brothers' Institute in Brooklyn and Loretto in the United States. Some of these have held the highest positions as Religious Educationists in America.
In 1903 Brother Joseph and his colleague Br. Jarlath Edwards were selected by the Order to undergo a course of agricultural training in the College of Science in order to establish a School of Agricultural Science at Mount Bellew which has done its share in the work of Agricultural Education for the country.
INDOMITABLE ENERGY Brother Joseph, however, was first and last a Franciscan Brother, and when he was raised to the first dignity of the Institute he devoted years of his indomitable energy to the raising of his Institute to one of Pontifical status; and his labours, with the cooperation of the late Archbishop of Tuam and of the Bishops of Meath and Elphin where the Brothers have foundations, and also of Bishop Heerey, C.S.Cp., under whom the Brothers have undertaken their first foundation in the pagan Mission-field, received their crowning success under the late Holy Father in the definitive approbation of the Constitutions of the Institute.
Brother Joseph's chief cross in recent years was his inability to be present at all the Community Exercises, but the hours he spent up to the last days in the Monastery Chapel were a source of admiration and inspiration to the sorrowing Brothers he has left to carry on the work to which he devoted his life.
Mrs. Agnes Mary Arkwright With the death of Mrs. William (Agnes Mary) Arkwright, English musical society loses a respected figure who was prominent a generation ago, when, as a singer, pianist and accompanist, she delighted her numerous audiences in England. She was a pupil of Madame Landi, and studied two years in Florence,
Mrs. Arkwright was the eldest daughter of the Hon. J. T. Sommers-Cocks, and married, in 1884, Mr, William P. Arkwright, J.P., of Sutton Scarsdale, who died in 1925. She svas a devout Catholic, sincere in her service of charity to those who appealed to her, many of whom were musicians, and indefatigable in her support of all things appertaining to her religion.