Page 7, 12th December 1958

12th December 1958
Page 7
Page 7, 12th December 1958 — Sacred Heart Church, Camberwell
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Bombed Church Is Rising Again After 12 Years

Page 5 from 25th April 1952

Bishop Visits Half A Church

Page 5 from 10th April 1953

3 Churches 3 ' Stones ' 2 Chapels R Emarkable Progress In

Page 9 from 1st May 1959

Primary School Has Acres

Page 7 from 2nd June 1950

A Week Of Splendid Ceremonies

Page 8 from 4th July 1958

Sacred Heart Church, Camberwell

BUILT WITH THE PEOPLE IN MIND

`C.H.' Reporter BISHOP COWDEROY of Southwark went to Camberwell-a stone's throw from the famous Oval Cricket ground-on Monday to bless and open the new church of the Sacred Heart.

Replacing a church destroyed by enemy action in 1941, the new building is of clean lightlycoloured brick contrasting sharply with the drab and sooty buildings which surround it.

The Sacred Heart parish is one of the oldest in the Southwark diocese. The first church was built in 18 Since the former church was destroyed, services have taken place in the hall which holds only 300 people and the number of Masses was increased from four to six, but. I was told, although the new church seats 700 people, the congregation has grown so much that it will still be necessary to have six Sunday Mas.ses.

Designed by Mr. D. Plaskett Marshall, F.R.1.B.A., the church has been built with the congregation very much in mind. The seats in the gallery and the benches at the back are terraced so that everyone can see the priest at the altar.

There are no obstructing pillars and the acoustics are excellent. Nearly all the interior furniture and decoration is of wood. Behind the marble altar is a mahogany Crucifix on a triangular oaken backeround. Above it is an oak

wooden pulpit has been canopy.positioned to the side of the

main altar and obstructs no-one's vision.

The statue of Our Lady for the Lady chapel is the personal gift of Bishop Cowderoy of Southwark.

When all the work is finished the church will have cost about f116.000. About (48.000 has been covered by war damage claims.

Fr. Francis Callahan. the parish priest, and his parishioners are making an all-out effort to clear their debt so that the church may be consecrated in the centenary year of the parish. 1963.




blog comments powered by Disqus