Page 14, 12th November 1937

12th November 1937
Page 14
Page 14, 12th November 1937 — The rapid growth of the parish at Corby, in Northamptonshire.

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.


People: E. Bower Norris


Related articles

A " Fairy Tale" Steel City Corby's Amazing Growth

Page 7 from 20th June 1941

The Church Moves On . .

Page 13 from 21st April 1939

' Corby: The New Church

Page 15 from 28th January 1938

L000 Catholics In A Little Wooden Church Mgr. Youens...

Page 14 from 9th July 1937

Long Ruckry Catholics Building Own Church

Page 5 from 16th July 1943

The rapid growth of the parish at Corby, in Northamptonshire.

has already been the subject of notes in the Catholic Herald. The mission was started in December, 1934, when a temporary wooden building was erected and the first Mass was said on the feast of St. Lucy. Even from the commencement the wooden but was quite inadequate for the growing needs of the parish, the numbers of which increased until at the present time approximately seven hundred persons hear Mass every Sunday in a church that only accommodates 250. The congestion at times has been found so great that it was necessary for Mass to be cele brated in the open air, and the temporary church must be extended and enlarged for present necessities while the new church is building.

Dedicated to Our Lady of Walsingham and designed in the modern style, the church will have several interesting architectural features.. It is proposed to carry the building out in stone-coloured bricks, with stone dress ngs. From its position on the highest point in the surrounding landscape, the towed will dominate the country

side for many miles. The greatest simplicity has been adopted for the design both internally and externally, relying for

its effect on simple portion and generous scale.

The interior is carried out in reinforced concrete with slender egg-shaped pillars to the aisles, supporting the lofty nave roof. An unusual feature is found in the raising of the sanctuary roof into the form of a tower, designed to give the effect of great height to the sanctuary, with interesting clerestory lighting to the altar.

The Rector, the Rev. R. E. Underwood, M.A., has entrusted the design and erection of the church to Mr. E. Bower Norris, F.R.I.B.A., of Stafford. It is hoped that the church will be ready for opening by June of next year.

blog comments powered by Disqus