ABOUT 150 members of an ancient Catholic order of chivalry are to march in all their majestic finery through the ancient town of Warwick, writes Tracy-Jo Smith.
The Knights and Dames of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem of the Lieutenancy of England and Wales. dressed in their distinctive ceremonial cloaks and hats, will walk through the town to the Collegiate Church of St Mary, led by a sword bearer, and with a Guard of Honour from the Territorial Army, on September 20.
The Mass is being held to celebrate the Order's ancient links with Warwick, going back some 900 years. The first Priory outside Jerusalem was established in Warwick in 1009 by the first Earl of Warwick, soon after the Order was established during the first Crusade.
The chief celebrant will be Auxiliary Bishop Philip Pargeter of Birmingham, the Prior of the Order's Midlands Section..