Page 1, 13th July 1990

13th July 1990
Page 1
Page 1, 13th July 1990 — Bishop Harvey retires
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Locations: Surrey, Richmond, London

Share


Related articles

North London Delays

Page 4 from 2nd August 1991

Westminster Mourns `understanding' Bishop

Page 3 from 7th February 2003

Archbishop's `homecoming' To Southwark

Page 1 from 1st April 1977

Shake-up For Schooling In Westminster

Page 3 from 23rd July 1993

New Bishop Named

Page 1 from 8th November 1991

Bishop Harvey retires

BISHOP Philip Harvey, an auxiliary in Westminster, has resigned after 13 weeks in office.

The bishop, who is responsible for the north London area of Cardinal Hume's diocese, tendered his resignation, in line with Vatican regulations, because he is 75.

Bishop Harvey, who was awarded the OBE in 1973, was born in Richmond, Surrey, and after attending Cardinal Vaughan School in Kensington, London, studied for the priesthood at St Edmund's College, Ware, and was ordained by Cardinal Hinsley in June 1939.

He was assistant priest in various London parishes between 1939 and 1953, before being appointed assistant administrator of the Crusade of Rescue. He succeeded Mgr Charles Flood as administrator in 1963. He was made an honorary canon the following year.

Bishop Harvey is chairman of the Westminster diocesan finance and education boards.




blog comments powered by Disqus