Page 1, 13th June 1952

13th June 1952
Page 1
Page 1, 13th June 1952 — `TE DEUM' AFTER INTERMENT
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Organisations: Home Office, Army
Locations: Leicester, Plymouth

Share


Related articles

Dorset Abbey Church Keeps Centenary

Page 7 from 20th July 1951

Two Monks Hasten To Give Blood Timnsfusion But They Lose...

Page 9 from 5th January 1940

Buckfast Monks Came Back 60 Years Ago

Page 5 from 6th November 1942

Janet Slattery Considers The Spartan Life Of Monks In A...

Page 7 from 20th May 1988

100,000 To Visit Newly Consecrated Abbey

Page 1 from 22nd August 1952

`TE DEUM' AFTER INTERMENT

25 monks re-buried after 130 years

AFTER three Solemn Requiem Masses and the re-burial of the remains of 25 monks, the "'Fe Deum" was sung on Friday in the church of Mount St. Bernard Cistercian Abbey, Charnwood Forest, Leicester.

The thanksgiving was for the return of a whole community to the order after an absence of 130 years. The bodies bad rested all this time in a little cemetery in Dorset.

Their exhumation and re-burial followed the decision of the Army authorities to use the area for training and gunnery practice. The cemetery is at the rear of a farm-house under the western spur of the Purbeck Hills, about two miles from Lulworth Cove, Mr. Thomas Weld, of Lulworth, founded a monastery in 1795 to receive a community from La Trappe —monks who had been exiled because of the French Revolution. When, just 22 years later, the religious of St. Susan's Abbey, Lulworth, returned to France to found the Abbey of Melleray in Brittany. they left the bodies of the 25 monks— seven of them priests—in the monastery cemetery, a plot of ground hardly more than 12 yards square.

Pair of sandals

The monastery fell into ruins, and was succeeded by "Monastery Farm." A year ago, Lieut.-Colonel J. W. Weld, of East Lulworth, after consulting the Bishop of Plymouth and obtaining the consent of the Abbot of Mount St. Bernard, received a licence from the Home Office and the exhumation was carried out recently with the cooperation of the military authorities by the employees of Colonel Weld's estate.

Little remained except the bones. but a small piece of brown cloth and a pair of sandals were also found.

These remains were placed in two coffins and taken to the 18th-century church of East Lulworth, where Solemn Requiem Mass was offered by Fr. Joseph Lombardi, parish priest, in the presence of about 15 priests, Colonel Weld and about 50 other laity.

After the Mass, the coffins were transferred to the Cistercian Abbey at Staplehill. Here a second Solemn Requiem Mass was offered by the parish priest, Fr. Robert Andras.

Last Friday the coffins were taken by road to Mount St. Bernard Abbey, and on Saturday morning the Abbot sang Pontifical Mass of Requiem. He then officiated at the burial, the coffins being interred one on each side of the grave of Dom Bernard Palmer, first Abbot of Mount Saint Bernard, who was himself a monk at Lulworth.




blog comments powered by Disqus