Page 8, 13th November 1953

13th November 1953
Page 8
Page 8, 13th November 1953 — ALTAR FOR TWO WARS
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Protest To Premier

Page 1 from 30th October 1953

Aldershot Altar To Be Blessed

Page 5 from 9th October 1953

Cardinal Murphy-o'connor (westminster) Sun: Celebrates...

Page 14 from 10th November 2006

Garrison Church Centenary

Page 8 from 25th March 1955

Lexden's Church The Opening Ceremony

Page 14 from 29th January 1937

ALTAR FOR TWO WARS

Aldershot dedication

THE new marble altar in St. Michael's Garrison Church, Aldershot, was dedicated on Sunday when the Apostolic Administrator of H.M. Forces, Mgr, Clarke. celebrated a Solemn Requiem Mass in the presence of the Apostolic Delegate, Archbishop Godfrey.

The preacher was the Principal Chaplain, Fr. A. E. S. 131ount.

The altar, designed by Mr. Justin Alleyn, F.1.1s.A.. was erected out of the 0,266 raised in response to an appeal made after the war for funds to build a church in memory of those who gave their lives in the two World Wars. The remainder of the fund will be used when a more permanent church can be built.

A military parade of Catholic personnel of the garrison was held at which the salute was taken by the General Officer Commanding Aldershot District. Major-Genefat Gaffney, a Catholic. The Under-Secretary for War was represented by Sir Thomas Cash.




blog comments powered by Disqus