Saturday, 18 years to the day after the foundation stone was laid.
The ceremony was to have been carried out by Cardinal Hume, but he was unable to attend as he is in Rome for the conclave which will elect the successor to Pope John Paul, Bishop Gerald Mahon, Bishop in Central London, took his place.
The parish of St Bernadette was created in 1936 by Cardinal Hinsley, Archbishop of Westminster. and the first public Mass was celebrated in January, 1937, in the local British Legion Hall.
In 1958 permission was granted for a permanent building and this was begun in 1960 by Fr Patrick English. On October 7, 1960, the foundation stone was laid by Cardinal Godfrey.