Page 1, 14th July 1939

14th July 1939
Page 1
Page 1, 14th July 1939 — BURNS AND OATES RETURNS TO CATHOLIC HANDS
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Catholic Year Books

Page 6 from 12th December 1941

B.o.w. Take Over The 'universe'

Page 8 from 6th February 1953

B. O. & W. Now In Australia

Page 5 from 28th August 1953

Vho?

Page 15 from 13th January 1939

Burns Oates Agency For Australia

Page 7 from 14th January 1949

BURNS AND OATES RETURNS TO CATHOLIC HANDS

Negotiations have been completed this week for the purchase of the controlling interest in Messrs. Burns Oates and Washbourne, Ltd., by a new group of Catholic shareholders, of whom the principal members are Mrs J. S. Crosthwaite-Eyre, Mr Oliver Crosthwaite-Eyre and Mr

Douglas Jerrold. The present Company was constituted In 1929, and acquired the business previously known as Burns Oates and Washbourne, Ltd., which tad been formed in 1921 ee an amalgamation of the old-established Catholic publishing and church furnishing houses of Burns and Oates (of Orchard Street, W.) and R. T. Washbourne (of Paternoster Row, E.C.).

All Catholics

Under the Articles of Association of the Company as constituted in 1929, no one who is not a practising Catholic may be a director of the company, and one of the Articles also lays down that " nothing contained in this Memorandum of Articles of Association shall empower the Company to do any act or thing not in accordance with the Roman Catholic principles hitherto governing the policy and management of the said Burns Oates and Washbourne, Ltd."

The directors of the company in recent years have been Lieut.-Colonel P. A. Meldon, D.S.O. (chairman and managing director), Mr M. A. Edwards, Colonel J. E. F. d'Apiee, D.S.O., Mr Denis Gwynn, D.Litt., and Lord Clonmore.




blog comments powered by Disqus