Page 9, 15th December 1939

15th December 1939
Page 9
Page 9, 15th December 1939 — THE CHURCH MOVES ON .
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Archbishop Williams

Page 5 from 19th November 1943

Archbishop Recalls Heroism Of Former Nurses' Guild President

Page 7 from 28th February 1941

Epi Scopal

Page 11 from 22nd September 1939

Eccjes1astical And Other Information

Page 7 from 16th May 1947

Mgr. Williams Has Operation

Page 10 from 10th November 1939

THE CHURCH MOVES ON .

Keywords: Bazaar, Cirencester

Birmingham

Mgr. T. L. Williams, Archbishop of Birmingham, appealing for help for the poor missions of the archdiocese, recalls progress during the past year.

His Grace says with much pleasure that new churches have been opened at Great Barr and Handsworth; a church hall built and opened at Fordhouses; a church at Earlsdon has been extended; a new church is being built at Tipton; the extension of the church at Acock's Green is nearing completion; and a new Mass ce.itre has recently been opened at Aldridge, near Sheffield, Staffs.

Further, a new junior school has been completed and opened at St. Osburgae Coventry; the Men's Retreat House was opened in September at Harborne; and, in mid-summer, the Church of St. Mary Immaculate, War wic It. was consecrated.

Derby

Mgr. J. H. McNulty, Bishop of Nottingham, opened a bazaar at Derby on Saturday last promoted to raise funds to pay off the debt on the new schools and to celebrate the centenary of the dedication of St. Mary's Church -one of the most beautiful examples of the work of Pugin—by necessary repairs to the fabric.

The bazaar was opened on the first day by the Mayor of Derby (Alderman A. T. Neal) and by Mrs C. Dould. Councillor S. E. Felix spoke on behalf of the schools, and the rector, the Right Rev. Mgr. Payne, V.G., presided on both occasions. The total amount raised was £300.

Birkenhead

By a bazaar organised by the women parishioners of St. Werburgh's, Birkenhead, recently a sum of £85 was raised towards the fund for reducing the heavy debt which still remains on the church. Added to the £125 which has been collected during the year, the proceeds of the bazaar have made a useful reduction.

Portsmouth

Dr. Dey, Bishop in Ordinary to His Majesty's Forces, administered Confirmation to a large number of naval ratings at the Catholic Naval Chapel at Flathouse Road, Portsmouth, on Sunday last. The new Catholic Lord Mayor of Portsmouth, Councillor D. L. Daley, was present at the ceremony.

Liverpool

Large extensions to St. Oswald's, Old Swan, Liverpool, are likely to be put in hand at an early date. The cost is estimated at £15,000, and the architect Is Adrian Scott. F.R.I.B.A., who has his brother, Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, as consultant.

Bristol

On Sunday last the Church of St. /3onaventure, Bristol, which is in the charge of the Franciscans, celebrated its jubilee. Mgr. William Lee, Bishop of Clifton, sang the Solemn High Mass of Thanksgiving, at which Fr. Dominic, the of the Friars Minor, preached.

The fli st Franciscan House in Bristol was at St. Michael's Hill, and the first church, now the schools, at Egerton Road. The present great church dates from 1907, and the guardian is Fr. Richard Peek, O.F.M.

Mortomley

A very successful bazaar held last week in aid of the funds of the Church of Our Lady Refuge of Sinners, Mortoniley, Sheffield, was presided over by Dean W. Donkers, of Wath, who for sixteen years was parish priest at Mortornley.

Cirencester

Lady Nigel Norman recently opened a successful bazaar to raise funds for refurnishing the Church of St. Peter, Cirencester. The Church of St. Peter was opened in 1896, and the present rector is the Rev. Thomas P. Staunton.

West Blatchinyton

A two-day sale of work was held last week in the parish hall of St. Peter's, clove, in aid of the fund to pay for .he site of the new chapel of ease for West Blatchington. The site has Already been purchased, and the Rev. R. O'Resan was lucky in obtaining it; for where a year or two ago was open fields, every plot had been snapped up except this corner site.

This is the third major task that Fr. O'Regas has initiated since his going to Hove last year. He has rebuilt and redecorated the parish hall. commenced the new schools, and started West Blatchington.

Wanstead, Essex

Canon B. E. Booker was unable to realise his ambition and open the new aisle of the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes, Wanstead, Essex, which marks the final stage in the building of the church, in time for the Feast of t he Immaculate Conception.

Nevertheless, the Canon hopes that the extension will be ready before Christm is. Money has already been raised to furnish benches, but an altar is still needed. The war proved a great setback to the building, for both men and materials were lacking during the first two months.

Bath

As the result of a sale of work held in the Convent of the Sisters of Charity, Oldfield Road, Bath, over £72 was raised to relieve the debt on the presbytery of St. Alphege's Church, Oldfield Park, Bath. The Rev. Joseph Dolan, parish priest, organised the sale.




blog comments powered by Disqus