ON July 16, 1951, when the relics of St. Simon Stock were brought back to his old home in Aylesford Priory by the Archbishop of Bordeaux, a picture of a small boy kneeling alone in front of the relics was used widely by Catholic papers and magazines.
It was some months later before the Carmelites of Aylesford discovered that the name of the boy was Simon Stock, the same as the saint be in g Tag honoured. His home was in Byfleet, Surrey and he was a pupil of the Convent of Notre Dame, Cobham.
Next Sunday, July 17 the same Simon Stock will once again kneel at the shrine of his namesake, this time to be ordained a Carmelite priest by Archbishop Cowderoy. Fr. Simon is a former pupil of St. George's College, Weybridge, and did his theological studies at the Carmelite International College, Rome.