Page 5, 16th November 1962

16th November 1962
Page 5
Page 5, 16th November 1962 — MINISTRY GRANT FOR STONOR
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Locations: Boston, London

Share


Related articles

Call To Save England's Most Famous Catholic Home

Page 2 from 23rd January 1976

Historic Catholic House To Display Treasures From...

Page 3 from 28th March 2003

Stonor, Chapel To Be Restored

Page 5 from 22nd July 1955

New Address Puts History Into Reverse

Page 7 from 24th June 1955

A Place In The Country

Page 7 from 31st October 1980

MINISTRY GRANT FOR STONOR

By F. C. PRICE STONOR PARK, Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, the home of the Stonor family since at least the twelfth century, is one of several buildings of Catholic interest to receive a grant from the Minister of Public Buildings and Works on the recommendation of the Historic Building Council for England and Wales under the provisions of the Historic Buildings and Ancient Monuments Act of 1953.

This is the first grant received y Stonor Park and is towards -reefing the cost of repairs. One f the conditions attaching to very grant is that the public hall be given access to visit the roperties. Stonor Park will he pen one day a week from May ) September when repairs are omplete.

14th CENTURY

Although it contains architecire from every period it is the -repel which is of outstanding iterest. Attached to the cast wing f the house it is basically a four!enth century structure and one

the very few Catholic chapels hich have been in continuous use nee before the Reformation.

During penal times it housed a !era printing press from which amphlete attacking the teaching f the Anglican Church were sued. It was also used as a iding place for priests including lessed Edmund Campion.

Another grant for repairs goes

Church House, Evesham, Woristershire. Built at the end of the fteenth century it stands next to to gateway to Evesham Abbey hich has a history dating back to )9, when its first charter was -anted. At the time of the Disilulion it was one of the most Durishing monasteries with no :wer than 89 monks. But this did at prevent it being laid in ruins s Thomas Cromwell.

NEW COLLEGE

Church House, however, still tains a well-preserved facade and 1 its original timber framing is tact. Inside it has a late fifteenth :ntury fireplace and the fragment a medieval painting discovered tring an earlier restoration and )vi preserved behind glass.

St. Donat's Castle, Llantwit 'ajar, Glamorgan, has been in the :ws recently because it has just sened it< doors as the Atlantic illege. Although it stilt retains me of the original medieval iilding it has been restored from ne to time.

One of its main features is the

Bradenstoke Hall, noted for its fine roof of seven bays, said to have come from the Infirmary of Bradenstoke Priory in Wiltshire and one of the best remaining examples in this country of a medieval roof.

The Banqueting Hall has a late medieval flat vaulted painted timber ceiling said to have been brought from the medieval parish church in Boston, Lincolnshire.

St. Donat's has been given a grant towards the cost of repairs and is open to the public on certain days during the summer holidays.

HOLY WELL

In the Middle Ages Cothelstone Manor, near Taunton, was noted locally for the Holy Well which stands nearby. The present Manor dates from the sixteenth century but behind the house is a medieval building converted into cottages. As in the case of the other properties the grant is towards repairs.

Vigil in Garden

of Gethsemane

FIFTY-FIVE pilgrims returned to England this week from a pilgrimage to the Holy Land during which they became the first such group to make an All Night Vigil in the Garden of Gethsemane.

The pilgrims, members of the All Night Vigil Group. were told by the Franciscan custodian of the Garden that they were the first known group to make application for such a privilege. The group was led by Biblical scholar Fr. Reginald Fuller, of the Church of the Assumption. Warwick Street, in London's West End.




blog comments powered by Disqus