Page 5, 16th September 1960

16th September 1960
Page 5
Page 5, 16th September 1960 — TAKE-OVER FOR TURNER TEXTILES
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Locations: Berlin, London

Share


Related articles

Flying To Derby Factory Feast

Page 5 from 29th August 1952

Received Into The Church In A Factory :

Page 5 from 29th July 1955

He Built A Chapel In His Factory

Page 9 from 29th October 1965

Catholic Profiles :i281

Page 4 from 7th November 1947

Irish Industry Will Pay Tribute To Our Lady Bishop Ellis

Page 6 from 23rd April 1954

TAKE-OVER FOR TURNER TEXTILES

THE Derby textile mill of Ernest Turner Ltd., the only factory in Britain which has a Catholic Chapel within its walls, has been taken over by Mr. Sidney Day, a London electric cable and textile manufacturer it was disclosed this week.

Announcing the take-over Mr. Alan Turner, managing director of Ernest Turner Ltd., who will retain a scat on the board, explained that the chapel and unique social welfare services of the factory would continue to operate in future. Each year employees take part in a factory feast, when an altar is erected among the looms. They also elect representatives to a Factory Council which helps to run the works.

In recognition of "his public action as a Catholic employer in promoting the Church's social teaching" Mr. Turner was in 1956 created a Knight of St. Gregory the Great by Pope Pius XII.

REDS CLOSE BARN CHURCH

AN old barn which was converted into a Catholic church by 4,500 hours of volunteer labour by Catholic and Protestant workers has been closed by the Communist regime in East Germany, it was learned in Berlin.

The new church, which was to have been blessed this month, is in Kollwitz, near Magdeburg. It was sealed by the regime on grounds that a Catholic church is not necessary there. The parish consists of 800 Catholics coming from 10 nearby villages.

Prior to the renovation of the barn, Sunday Mass was offered in the local Protestant church.




blog comments powered by Disqus