The Rev. Casimir Charles, director of St. Joseph's college, Beulah Hill, Upper Norwood, has left to take up a similar position at the college of St. Joseph du Loquidy, Nantes, France, which is also under the charge of the Brothers of St. John Baptist de la Salle.
Bro. Casimir was one of the pioneers at St. Joseph's collex when it was established at Beulah Hill in 1904. After leaving Denmark Hill Bro. Casimir was then teacher of science. During the war he was attached to the 6th division of the British army as interpreter. He was absent from St. Joseph's for a few years after the war but came back in 1930 as director in place of the Rev. Calixts. Now he returns to his native land as head of one of the biggest and most important Houses in France.
Remarkable improvements in the college and grounds have been carried out during the time he has been in charge at Norwood. The sanctuary of the chapel has been decorated with mosaic work and marble, and is now considered one of the finest private chapels in England. His initiative and courage led to the monumental work of laying out a number of playing fields which once had been steeplysloping, neglected land in Norbury. Now the college has a large number of extra cricket and football fields.