Mr Patrick Marshall
MR PATRICK Marshall who has died aged 92, was the only Catholic in the Conway parish who could remember Mass being celebrated in one of the towers of the ancient town wall overlooking the harbour and had probably put in more years' altar service than any of his contempories in Wales.
Because there was no church at Conway when he was born, Mr Marshall was baptised at nearby Penmaenmawr and came from one of the few Catholic families living in the area at the time. When St Michael's Church was built at Conway he became an altar boy there at the age of six and, apart from the war years when he went into the army. Served ever since, first at St Michael's and then at the newer church of the Most Holy Family at Llandudno Junction across the river where he was Master of Ceremonies until recently. He remembered 13 parish pnests and some years ago was awarded the Bene Merenti medal.
One of his earliest memories was that of going to the tower for catechism every Sunday afternoon and of one beautiful summer day when the priest, Father Wilfrid, decided it was too fine to stay indoors and took the children on the river instead!
Monsignor George Arden Tancred
MGR GEORGE Tancred died suddenly during the night of December 15. He had been complaining of a pain in his head prior to his death and was
found on the morning of ' December 16, by the Very Reverend William Murtagh, the assistant priest of the parish local to where Mgr George had been living in Drogheda.
Mgr George was born in Manchester, where he was raised by his Mother and her parents, on September 2,1932 . He had one older sister, who sadly has already passed away. Following his education in Manchester, he did his National Service with the RAF and it was during this time that he felt he had a vocation to the priesthood. Consequently he was released from the RAF three months early to enable him to go to the English College al Lisbon. Mgr George was ordained by the Archbishop of Mytilene in the English College, Lisbon on May 31 1958 for the Diocese of Salford.
Mgr George served in various parishes in the diocese of Salford: St Joseph's, Darwen (1958-1966 curate); St James', Pendleton (1966-1972 curate). From 1972 until 1979 he was the Spiritual Director at Ushaw College.
From 1972 until 1986 he served at Salford Cathedral and was appointed parish priest of St James'. Pendleton. He was elected Dean and he was also on the National Committee of Jews and Catholics. In this same period he became the vicar for religious and established the diocesan association for the religious. He gave many clergy and religious retreats, which included epilogues on the television. In 1983 he received a Prelate of Honour.
Prior to his incardination into the diocese of Westminster on February 26 1991 he was based at St Mary, Cadogan Street (1986-1991). He became actively involved with the Catholic Stage Guild and found this area of work both stimulating and satisfying. He loved the City and the people who are in the artistic and theatrical world. He was no stranger to this world either, as his own mother had been a dancer in her youth. He especially loved the diversity of
the people — from the religious to the artists, from the city workers to those whom life offered no favours and who were forced to exist on the edge of society.
After his incardination, he served at Our Lady, Chiswick (Economy Commission for Religious) and took up an appointment as parish priest in 1992 at St James, Thickenham where he remained until he retired to Ireland last year.
Monsignor George was a very outgoing, sensitive person who possessed a cheerful enthusiasm with which he undertook his pastoral ministry. His extraordinary kindness touched many hundreds of people.
A former parishioner of his described him as a special man who seemed to be able to influence the young and to bring them back to the Church, Another said he brought an
atmosphere of warmth and frendliness to the parish community. He always had time for people and wherever he served, he inspired their respect, loyalty and deep affection.
Monsignor George asked Cardinal Cormac for permission to retire to Ireland in June 2001, for health reasons. He very much enjoyed this time in Ireland in his beautiful little cottage which incorporated a little chapel secuded from the rest of the house. Even though it was located in the heart of the countryside, it was within easy reach of Dublin. Monsignor George gave at least one and a half days a week to the local hospital ( including night calls). He helped the Cistercian Monks at Mellifort Abbey and the Dominicans and also his parish church at St Michael's, Clogerhead when needed.
His requiem took place on December 20, at St Michael's Drogheda. Mr Paul Forsick represented the diocese.
Fr Vincent Marron
Fr Vincent Marron died in the early hours of 11 December at Darlington Memorial Hospital. He was 85 years of age. He had been in hospital for minor surgerywhen he suffered a heart ' attack.
Fr Edward Vincent Marron was born in Chopwell on 29 April 1917. He studied at Ushaw and was ordained there by Bishop McCormack on 26 July 1942. His first appointment was as assistant priest at St Patrick's Felling from August 1942 until September 1944. He moved to St Joseph's, Newcastle upon Tyne and stayed there until August 1945 when he was appointed to St Patrick's, Ryhope until August 1954. He was moved to St Joseph's, Murton in 1954 and then another appointment followed six months later when he became the assistant priest at St Thomas More's West Hartlepool where he remained for two years. In April 1957 he was appointed as assistant priest to St Wilfrid's, Gateshead and on 21 June 1962 he was asked to become the assistant priest at SS Peter and Paul, Hutton House.
On 29 June 1962, he was appointed parish priest of SS Peter and Paul, Hutton House, where he remained until his retirement in October 1993. In his retirement he lived with his nephew Fr Patrick McMahon in St Joseph's Presbytery, Coundon.
Fr Marron's Requiem was at SS Peter and Paul at Hutton Henry, he was buried in the cemetery at Hutton House.