Page 13, 18th August 1939

18th August 1939
Page 13
Page 13, 18th August 1939 — THE CHURCH MOVES ON
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Locations: Epsom, Ramsgate, Margate, Oxford

Share


Related articles

The Church Moves

Page 15 from 14th October 1938

Westerham Stone

Page 8 from 30th April 1954

Work Commences At Send

Page 12 from 21st April 1939

Of New Housing Areas In London

Page 15 from 31st March 1939

THE CHURCH MOVES ON

Keywords: Ramsgate, Worthing

Little Common

Mgr. Brown, Bishop of Pella, recently laid the foundation stone of the new Church of St. Martha, at Little Common, near Bexhill. The church has been dedicated to St. Martha, an it will be a sister church of St. Mary Magdalen's. Bexhill. As reported recently in the CATHOLIC HERALD the new church i8 to cost about £7,000 and Will seat 400 people.

Brixton

The Rev. Bernard Kelly, parish priest of Corpus Christi Church, Brixton, recently opened and blessed the new premises of St. Joseph's Home for Mothers and Babies, Tulsa Hill, Brixton. The new home has room for 27 unmarried mothers, and it is already nearly full up.

Walsingham

Work has been recommenced on the proposed Capuchin Friary Church, Walsingham, after an interruption of about a year. The site, which workmen are at present levelling, is next to the old Black Lion Hotel.

Goldthorpe

The Rev. Thomas Watkin, parish priest of the Sacred Heart Church, Goldthorpe, Yorks., called a general meeting recently of all his parishioners to consider plans for the building of a parish school.

Potters Bar

The Urban District Council of Potter's Bar, Middlesex, considered recently the application for the Council's approval to the building of a church, presbytery, church hall, and school, on a site in Sherwood Avenue, The Council approved the scheme as far as the church and presbytery are concerned, but refused permission to build a school and church hail, as these conflicted with the zoning of the district.

Epsom

The Mayor of Epsom, Alderman H. W. Cuehine, opened a fête recently in the grounds of the Convent, Epsom, in aid of the fund to raise £10,000 needed to build an elementary school in place of the present temporary buildings. The fete was organised by the Right Rev. Canon Christall, parish priest.

New Milton, Hants

The annual fete in aid of the building fund of the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes, New Milton, Hants., was opened by Mr Henry J. Weld, of Lymington. The Rev. Francis Pinkman, parish priest, declared that the parish had now been founded for 13 years: since then its growth had been enormous. Last year the building fund amounted to 11,066, and to-day it stands at £1,300.

Swanage

By kind permission of the officer commanding, Lieut-Colonel F. M. Bawden, the band of the 4/5th Btn. Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry performed at the annual fête held Med week In connection with the Church of the Holy Ghost and St. Edward, Swanage, Dorset, which was opened by Mgr. Barton, D.D., the well-known Scripture scholar. Owing to bad weather the fete had to he held in Purbeck House, the Convent of Mercy, instead of in the grounds.

Worthing

Miss Binnie Hale, the actress, opened last week a three-day fête or garden party in the grounds of the Convent of Our Lady of Sion, Worthing, in aid of the schools and presbytery building fund of the Church of Our Lady of the Angels, Worthing. Canon Charles Westlake, parish priest, presided.

Headington

A garden fete was held recently in the grounds of the Church of Corpus Christi, Headington, Oxford, in an effort to raise funds to pay off the debt of £2,500 on the church building. The event concluded with a carnival dance in the church hall, The Rev. William Flint, parish priest, announced that the proceeds amounted to £24.

Colne

Over 15 tons of plaster will have to be removed, it is estimated, before the work of installing the mosaics in the Church of the Sacred Heart, Colne, can begin. In spite of this work, services are still being held, and a band of voluntary workers, numbering 21 women and a number of men, work every Saturday evening to prepare the church for Mass the next morning.

Margate

Alderman Farrar, Mayor of Margate, in opening the fête held recently in the grounds of Salmeston Grange, Margate, remarked, " Probably we need religious training to-day more than ever."

The fête was held in aid of the new school at Salmeston Grange, which is to serve the districts of Birchington and Westgate. It will be known as St. Gregory's School. The Mayor also made a plea to people to forget about foreign affairs and live a normal life,

Ramsgate

The Mayor of Ramsgate, Alderman A B. C. Kempe, told the people of Ramsgate recently that although he was not a Catholic he had as an ancestor a Prince of the Church; perhaps that accounted for his great affection and admiration for the work of Catholics.

He was speaking at the Opening ceremony of a fête held in the playing fields of Ramsgate Abbey, in an effort to liquidate the debt of £12,000 on the school buildings in Dane Park Road. Dom Norbert Lapworth, 0.S.B., parish priest, revealed that during the past 14 years, over 111,000 had been raised.

Midhurst

In spite of bad weather the proceeds of the annual garden party at the Con vent of Mercy in aid of St. Elizabeth's Home, Midhurst, constituted a record.

Lingfield

Archbishop Amigo and the Trustees for the diocese of Southwark have applied to the Lingiield Rural Council for permission to build on the site of Holly Cottage and land in Vicarage Lane, Lingfield, a temporary church and hall (one building) in the first instance and a permanent church and hall two buildings) later, and to use the existing house for private residential purposes.

The County Council has refused per mission under the Restriction of Ribbon Development Act, but the local Council has decided to grant permission subject to subsequent permission of the County Council of Minister of Health on appeal.




blog comments powered by Disqus