The Holy See has assigned a new mission territory in northern Burma to American St. Columban's missionaries.
Formerly part of the Vicariate Apostolic of Mandalay and located in north central Burma. the territory adjoins the Prefecture of Bliamo to the north, which is already staffed by the Columban Fathers.
The district is mountainous and is noted chiefly as having been the centre of the Burmese ruby mines. But as the ruby mining industry ceased to operate commercially in 1931, the area is still largely a pioneer mission field with only 600 Catholics. Thirty-eight Columban Fathers and six Sisters of St. Columban labour under Mgr. Usher, Prefect Apostolic of Bhamo in the hill and jungle missions of Northern Burma.