of the Congregation of Marian Father-a and a weTI known Byelorussian poet and writer, aged 68.
He was born at Halshany, In Western Byelorussia, and after finishing his studies at the Vilna diocesan seminary was ordained priest in 1913. In 1924 he joined the Byelorussian House of the Congregation of Marian Fathers In Druja, Northern Byelorussia. where. after the novitiate, he was appointed parish priest and teacher of Latin at the school conducted by the fathers.
In 1932 he was sent as a missionary to Kharbin, in Manchuria. The mission was conducted by Byelorussian Marian Fathers, and Hermanovich there divided his time between pastoral care and teaching at the mission's school.
In 1948 he, together with other priests of the mission, was arrested ba the Chinese and handed over to the Soviet authorities. The nod six years were spent by him in various Soviet prisons and concentration camps In Siberia. Released in 1955, he Was deported to Poland, front where. In 1959. he succeeded in reaching Rome, and finally. in 1960, London.
Here he lived for the rest of his life as a member of the Byelorussian Catholic Mission In England at Marian House. which was founded In 1948 by his former student. Mow Bishop) Ceslaus Sipovich.
In London. Joseph was for some years headmaster of St Cyril's House. a boarding school for sons of Byelorussian parents. and until 1974 he edited the Byeloiussian religious journal Borhymshlakham (On God's Highway).
Fr Jame* Ryan, a native of Co Limerick. aged 70. He studied at St Munching College. Limerick. and was ordained at St Patrick's College, Thurles, in 1936. On going to the diocese of Plymouth he served as curate at Si *sheet and St Joseph. Devonport. Plymouth, and also at Weymouth and TavIstock, and Bideford.
Due to ill-health he retired, and until his death served at the Church of Our Lady of Perpetual S I Widnes, Cheshire. Fr Thomas Wherry, parish priest of St Vincent, Openshaw, Manchester. for the last 13 years, aged 69. He was 'born in Longsight, Manchester, and educated at St Bede'S College, Manchester, and Uphrilland College, Wigan, and was ordained priest ie 1936.
He served as curate at St Hugh of Lincoln Timperley. 1936-37, St Joseph, Reddish. 1931-38; St Edmund, Miles Platting, 193842: St Thomas, Higher Broughton, 1942-50: and St Edmund, Little Hutton, 1960-52. He was chaplain at the Little Sisters, Plymouth Grove from 1952 to 1953.
In 1953 he was appointed priest in charge at Christ the King. Walkden. and built the new church there in 1962 He moved to SI Vincent, Openshaw as perish priest in 1965.
Fr John Phillips, assistant priest at Sr Christopher's, Spek rt.. Liverpool. since October 1971, aged 65, after a long illness. His early education was at Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Liverpool. and he pursued ecclesiastical studies at Upholland, being ordained there in 1940. He was appointed to St Marie's Southport. in 1940, and served In various parishes in Maghull. Bootle, Kirkby, St Helens and Chorley.
Dr Kenneth Carey, former Anglican Bishop of Edinburgh, aged 70, Dr Carey was well /mown for this contribution to Anglican theological training.
He was Principal of Westcott College, Cambridge, thr 13 years. Twenty of his students are flOW serving as bishops in the Anglican Communion in Britain and overseas.
Canon Jeasph Philip innocent Collings, at Twyford Abbey, Middlesex, on his 95th birthday. SW 31 years. until the age of 71, he was Master at Ceremonies at Westminster Cohere at After his retirement he worked at Buntingford, Hertfordshire at St John's Villa and St Augustine's later he was with the Carnudist titIQS and the Bon Secour nuns at Crawley Court, the • Holy Seined° convent, and the Alexian Brothers at Twylorcl.