FR ANTHONY Ross, former Provincial of the English Dominicans. has died at Blairgowrie at the age of 75.
Ian Ross he took the religious name of Anthony when he joined the order in 1939 was born the son of a crofter in Beauly. Scotland, this week in 1917. Brought up as a "Wee Free" presbyterian, he was educated in Inverness and Edinburgh University. where be became a Catholic in 1937.
After ordination in 1945, Fr Ross worked and studied in England before becoming chaplain at his alma mater in 1959. He was always in demand for his talks and lectures, and was a pioneering figure in building relations between Catholics and Scottish protestants. An active supporter of the peace movement, he also went against the grain of the established Church, by often befriending prisoners, the homeless, drug addicts and homosexuals.
He was elected rector at Edinburgh University in 1979 and four years later preceded Fr Timothy Radcliffe as Dominican Provincial in this country. His requiem Mass was at Holy Cross, Glasgow.
PRIEST and teacher in the Southwark archdiocese. Mgr James McDonald, died on the feast of Corpus Christi. Born in 1915, he studied for the priesthood at Osterley and Wonersh, before being ordained in 1941. He first served as assistant priest at St Peter's, Hove, before moving into education when he joined the staff at John Fisher School, Purley, eventually becoming its headmaster in 1976.
He was appointed a papal chaplain in 1979, and retired from the school two years later, keeping links as a part-time chaplain in his later years.
TWO Brothers of the De La Salle order. Brs Pius Hyland and Hugh Harrison, died in May. Br Pius, who was 73, was a teacher in Darlington, Stockton, London and Gartmore, Scotland, before retiring to Kintbury, Berks. Br Hugh, who was 86, worked on the missions in Sri Lanka and Pakistan before returning to St Joseph's College, Upper Norwood, south London.
MONICA Mary Pearce, the founder of St Mary's Hospice in Birmingham, died on 5 June at the age of 78. Miss Pearce was awarded the MBE for setting up in 1979 what was only the seventh hospice in Britain at the time.