College that Became Newman's
Maryvale" The Archbishop of Birmingham will preside at High Mass to be sung at Maryvale Church on May 31 by Mgr. Canon L. S. Emery, Rector of Oscott, in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the opening of.Old Oscott as a College. The new college was opened in its present site in 1838. hut Old Oscott was ten years later the birthplace of Newman's Oratory, which subsequently found permanent premises at Edgbaston. Newman renamed it lvlaryvale.
The history of Old (ascott mission dates back into the seventeenth century, and the pastorate of Fr. Andrew Bromwich (tried and sentenced for the Faith in 1679) connects its with penal times and the sufferings of the martyrs.
The name of Ilichop Milner will be for ever inscpaiahly associated with Old Oseott, for it was he who acquired, reorganiced and enlarged the college in 1808. Here also he built the chapel which was the first centre in this country of public devotion to the 'Sacred Ileart, From Pope Nutt VII he obtained many nrivileges for those who mined the Sodality. and the painted glass window or the Sacred Heart which he erected in 1815 (and which tradition asserts he brought from Rotric) still stereo,: to-day in its original position.
Dfficulties of travel and catering make it impossible to issue as many invitations as the committee would have liked. hut all are asked to loin in snirit at least with those who can be prevent.
That a permanent record of tha anniversary may be keot, it is Proposed. with the anproval and blessing of the Archbishop. to subscribe to a fund for the erection of a neat of bells as a suitable memorial of the event in the new church which is to be built after the war to serve the needs of what is now a flouei-hing rillsciao of about a thousand souls.
Fr. Lynch published in 1939 an attractive Mush-Med booklet on the history of Maryvale.