Page 8, 1st August 1986

1st August 1986
Page 8
Page 8, 1st August 1986 — A resourceful man and devoted Catholic
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Obituary

Page 8 from 28th November 1980

Obituary

Page 8 from 7th May 1982

`suffer Little Children' An Afternoon In Cardinal Hume's...

Page 8 from 26th June 1981

Baker Green Light For London College

Page 1 from 24th February 1989

Dominican Pioneer

Page 3 from 18th June 1993

A resourceful man and devoted Catholic

OBITUARY

MR PETER Michael Burns, Divisional Inspector of Education died on June 10 aged 71.

He was educated at Cardinal Vaughan School, and University College, London University where he took a First in history and served as President of the Union.

After a year at the Institute of Education, he taught history at Gunnersbury Grammar School until 1939-40 when he joined the army and was captured at El Alamein. As a POW in Italy and Germany he conducted educational courses at the POW camps and was responsible for a number of POWs passing various examinations up to and including degree courses.

After the war he joined HM Inspectorate of Education, in the Coventry region where he was the instigator of major innovations in Catholic schools in collaboration with Bishop Beck. He next served in the North Riding, based at Oswaldkirk, and was finally made Divisional Inspector for the Western Region.

On retirement from the Ministry in 1981-82 he continued

to work with numerous educational foundations and was Chairman of the Independent Schools Information Service, a post he filled with distinction until the week of his death.

His Chief Inspector, the late Mr E E Hales wrote of him:"Peter was a man I shall always remember as uniquely energetic, resourceful and devoted, exceptionally wise, entirely unselfish, and one who lived his religion in a way that made us Catholics who have been less rooted, from youth, in the Faith, very envious".

As an Oblate, he was buried at Prinknash Abbey on June 13. C.J.B.

FR MATTHIAS McManus, former Parish Priest, St Joseph's Church, Weston-superMare died suddenly on Wednesday July 16. He was living in retirement in Westonsuper-Mare.

Born in Newton, West Meath, Ireland in 1913, Fr McManus was educated at All Hallows College, Dublin. He was ordained to the Priesthood at Roscrea, Co Tipperary on May 26, 1938.

He was Curate at St Nicholas of Tolentino Parish, Bristol, and at Holy Cross Parish, Bristol.

He was priest in charge at our Lady and St Kenelm, Stow-onthe-Wold, parish priest at St Joseph's, Langport, St Michael's, Shepton Mallet, St Dominic's, Dursley and in 1970 went as parish priest to St Joseph's, Weston-super-Mare, where he retired in August 1985.

CANON Patrick Joseph Guerin of the Diocese of Lancaster who died at Boarbank Hall on Saturday 12th July 1986, was born at Caherciveen, County Kerry, on December 2 1894. He was educated at Ushaw, 'and served as a curate in St Andrew's, Newcastle upon Tyne, before moving to Carlisle and then Preston.

He was parish priest of St Mary's, Lea, and Sacred Heart, Thornton-le-Fylde, before his retirement in 1970. Canon Guerin was the last of the Diocesan clergy to have been part of the Newcastle Diocese

before the establishment of the Diocese of Lancaster.

SR Basil Peter, FMSJ died at the Franciscan Convent, East Park Road, Blackburn on July 5, aged 90. Sr Basil was born in London and professed in the Congregation of the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of St Joseph in Patricroft, Manchester in 1917.

In 1921 she was appointed to work in the Salford Catholic Children's Rescue Society where she remained for the next 4Q years. She then transferred to the Children's home in Patricroft and from 1945 was in charge of the Home until it closed in 1961.

From 1961 to 1981 she promoted the magazine of the Congregation The Franciscan Missionary Herald. In 1981 she moved to Blackburn where she died after a long illness.

ON WEDNESDAY July 9 Mr John McIntosh, the Headmaster of The London Oratory School, presented a cheque for f2100 to Mrs Pearce from Angela House, Hammersmith a centre for the handicapped.

The money was raised through sponsorship of the run by Mr Kevin Moran (Head of P.E.) in the London Marathon. Each of the pupils in the photograph raised at least £20.

This has been another remarkable year for generosity by the school. The Advent and Lent collections raised nearly £2200 which was divided between Children in Need, the Elizabeth Fitzroy Homes, Crisis at Christmas, The Catholic Blind Institute, Cancer Research and the Across fund.

Other donations have been sent to the Premature Baby Unit at Kingston Hospital and to a fund for a family who suffered 'a fatal domestic fire disaster.

This year pupils have raised well over £6000 for charities.




blog comments powered by Disqus