Page 11, 1st May 1936

1st May 1936
Page 11
Page 11, 1st May 1936 — ST. STEPHEN'S, SHEPHERD'S BUSH
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Shepherd's Bush To-day's Consecration

Page 11 from 24th April 1936

Bishops' Engagements

Page 10 from 30th November 1979

I Now Mayor In London B 0th Hammersmith And Barnes,

Page 7 from 22nd April 1955

Mgr. Poskitt Consecrated Bishop Of Leeds

Page 10 from 25th September 1936

Bishops' Engagements

Page 10 from 26th April 1974

ST. STEPHEN'S, SHEPHERD'S BUSH

The Consecration

The Church of the Holy Ghost and St. Stephen, Shepherd's Bush, was consecrated on April 24. The Bishop of Clifton was the officiating prelate, and the subsequent Mass was celebrated by Fr. H. Hunt (Deptford), an old parishioner.

Frs. Fletcher and Anderson, assistants at Brook Green, from which parish Shepherd's Bush was founded, acted as assistants at the consecration, and Fr. D. Foran, the bishop's secretary, was M.C. Others present at the ceremony and at the luncheon at the Clarendon Hotel, Hammersmith, were Canons Ring and Mahoney, the latter another former parishioner, and the parish-priests of Brook Green, Holloway, and Uxbridge. Among other worshippers at the Mass was the rector's only surviving sister, a religious in the La Sainte Union congregation, from the Clifton diocese. School children, supported by the congregation and clergy, rendered the plainchant.

Sunday's Celebration

The celebrations concluded on Sunday, when Mgr. Lee offered the children's Mass and assisted and preached at the high Mass. In the evening after a stirring sermon by Canon Ring on the natural inclination of lavishing ornamentation on the House of God by his grateful creatures, his lordship gave pontifical Benediction, assisted by Frs. Carey and Kingseller. Frs. J. Leonard, C.M., and J. Hurley, C.M., from St. Mary's college, Strawberry Hill, were among the clergy attending Sunday's Mass.

Wingham's " Regina Coeli " Mass, with a plainchant Credo, and Mozart's "Jubilate Deo " were excellently rendered under Mr. V. J. Panichelli, whose choir sang during Benediction the " Regina Coeli " composed by A. Hollins, the noted blind composer.

A Memorial Pulpit

At the conclusion of a sermon in which he adduced several reasons for the appropriateness of Good Shepherd Sunday falling within their consecration octave, the Bishop of 'Clifton declared his pleasure at opening the marble memorial pulpit, designed by Mr. John E. Sterrett, and erected by Mr. Whitehead-the " bridal gift " by " the Best Man," their zealous rector, Fr. J. Carey, to the memory of six out of the family of ten Careys, who entered Religion-three priests and three nuns, of whom but two remained. From a look at the modern world's attitude, added the bishop, it appeared as though instances of so many members of one family given to the Church were likely to be of even more rare occurrence.

GIRL SLAVERY IN THE FAR EAST British Women Protest

A government commission has recently been appointed to investigate the question of mui tsai in Hong Kong and in Malaya. The commission will consist of Sir Wilfred Woods, late financial secretary in the government of Ceylon, who will act as chairman; Miss Picton-Turbervill, formerly a member of the House; and Mr. C. A. Willis, late of the Sudan Civil Service.

The commissioners received at the Colonial Office a deputation from fourteen women's societies, organised by the British Commonwealth League. On that deputation Mrs. Laughton Mathews was a speaker on behalf of St. Joan's Alliance.

Mrs. Mathews pointed out that while the women's societies had for many years urged action upon the Colonial Office, action had so far been ineffective. St. Joan's Social and Political Alliance viewed with alarm any attitude which implied that the mui tsai system-a system by which girls are sold into immoral slavery-could not, like other undesirable systems, be firmly abolished by a great government. Two years ago they had been told in the House of Commons, by representatives of the Colonial Office, that the present system of registration was enough.

The British Commonwealth League and its affiliated societies urged (1) immediate full registration; (2) absolute prohibition of further purchase or sale of girls for any purpose whatever; (3) increase in the number of inspectors. It was ridiculous to think, Mrs. Mathews emphasised, that children of six and seven would report themselves to the Secretary of Chinese Affairs; they could not even complain.

CAMPION HALL Completed Chapel The Times' correspondent for Oxford University writes : The completion of the chapel makes it possible to judge as a whole the beautiful and appropriate designs of Sir Edwin Lutyens for the new Campion Hall in Brewer Street. The chapel is bold and original in its architecture, its colour scheme, and its remarkable system of lighting. It gives a very harmonious effect of austerity relieved by brightness. On the north side of the ante-chapel is the memorial altar to Francis Urquhart, dedicated to Thomas More and Bishop Fisher. The north and south sides of the chapel itself are adorned by the Stations of the Cross, the work of Mr. F. Brangwyn, which he has presented to the hall. Sir Edwin Lutyens has impressed his personality upon all the details and fittings of the whole block of buildings, which is a notable addition to the architecture of Oxford.

fAn illustration of the completed buildings, together with an account of the "change-over" from St. Giles to the new quarters, will appear in the Catholic Herald next week. • •




blog comments powered by Disqus