Page 6, 1st November 2002

1st November 2002
Page 6
Page 6, 1st November 2002 — Obituaries
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Lifelong Supporter Of The Ycw

Page 3 from 23rd April 1993

Obituary

Page 3 from 21st October 1994

Lives Remembered

Page 6 from 12th September 2008

Vows At Bristol

Page 3 from 21st December 1979

Obituary

Page 8 from 24th October 1997

Obituaries

Mgr Joseph Buckley

MGR JOSEPH Buckley, a priest of the diocese of Clifton, died on Monday, 21st October 2002.

A native of Fishponds, Bristol he was born on the 6th February 1916 and was ordained a priest on the 8th April 1939 in the Basilica of St John Lateran in Rome.

He had a long and distinguished ministry in the Diocese, firstly serving as Secretary to the Bishop before being appointed as parish priest to Christ the King Parish, Filwood, Bristol.

In July 1949, he was appointed to the Sacred Heart Parish, Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol where he remained until 1978. In 1963 he was given the title of Monsignor. 10 years later he was appointed as a member of the Cathedral Chapter and as Vicar-General of the Diocese in 1977.

In 1981 he was appointed as Judicial Vicar of the Diocese, a position he held until his death.

In recognition of his work in cementing ecumenical relations with other denominations he was made an Honorary Stallholder in Bristol Cathedral.

He was active also in the Bristol Catholic Players and in the Old Brotherhood, a group which was founded in September 1623 and about which he wrote an article for the Clifton Diocesan Directory in 2000.

Fr Paul McDermott

FR PAUL McDermott died in the Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne on Friday October 11 aged 55.

Paul Michael McDermott was born in Leeds on 1 August 1947. His family moved to Gosforth when he was 15 years of age. After moving to Newcastle Paul continued his education at St Cuthbert's Grammar School, Newcastle upon Tyne and from there went straight to Ushaw College to begin his training for the priesthood in September 1967. After his six year training he was ordained on 10 March 1973 at Ushaw College by Bishop Cunningham. His first appointment was as assistant priest at St Oswald's Wrekenton on 15 August 1973 and at the same time he was appointed to work part-time with the Diocesan Marriage Tribunal. On 7 January 1978 he was appointed assistant priest to St Joseph's North Shields until 11 November 1978 when he was appointed to St Matthew's, Jarrow. He was appointed to St Paul's, Cramlington as an assistant priest on 11 August 1979 and remained there until 15 November 1989. His first appointment as a parish priest was to Our Lady's, Easington Colliery where he remained for six and a half years. On 12 May 1996 he was appointed as parish priest to Our Lady and St Columba, Wallsend. For the last eight

years Fr Paul served the people faithfully despite suffering ill-health.

Fr McDermott's body was received into Our Lady and St Columba's church, Wallsend on 17 October. His requiem mass and funeral were celebrated at Our Lady's on Friday 18 October followed by burial at Holy Cross cemetery, Wallsend.

Fr John Woods

FR JOHN Woods has lost his fight against cancer.

The parish priest at Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, died on Monday evening, 14th Oct at the age of 63.

Born in south Harrow in 1939, he moved to Ireland when war broke out. In 1953 Fr John attended St. Edmund's College and entered Allan Hall in 1958, as a student for the priesthood. Cardinal Heenan ordained 12 students, seven for the Diocese, at Westminster Cathedral, in May 1964. These were Cardinal Heenan's first ordinations after arriving in the diocese in 1963. Fr John said his first Mass at St Gabriel's, south Harrow, and in the evening he assisted Archbishop Heenan at Solemn Benediction to conclude his pastoral visitation to the parish.

Following his ordination, Fr John held various positions: his first parish was White City (1964), he took a sabbatical at Corpus Christi and obtained a Diploma in Religious Education, and in 1972 he moved to Moorfields. In 1974, he served in Garston and also became the chaplain to St. Michael's Secondary School. In 1977 he was appointed parish priest of Hanwell, moving as parish priest, to Acton East in 1987. During this time he took a year's sabbatical with the Jesuits at Milltown, Dublin.

Two years ago he underwent a major operation. The disfigurement of his face caused by his illness never deterred him in any way from carrying out his duties. In the early summer of this year, he realised that he could no longer fully discharge his duties as parish priest at Borehamwood due to a recurrence of the cancer, and he asked to retire from the parish, but did so with grace and without any kind of fuss.

After he left Borehamwood in August, Fr John went on holiday to the seminary in Algarve, in Portugal for three weeks with some friends. True to his commitment, he concelebrated Mass in the church until the day before he was admitted to Harefield Nursing Home, because his condition had worsened so rapidly.

Fr Patrick Gibbons FR PATRICK Joseph Gibbons, the former parish priest of St Philip the Apostle in Finchley, London, has died at the age of 57 in his adopted home of Ireland. Born in

London on 9th March 1946, he attended St. Joseph's Primary School and then St Thomas More School, Chelsea. On 7th June 1973 he was ordained deacon by Bishop Patrick Casey and subsequently ordained to the priesthood on 6 July 1974 in Cadogan Street.

Following his ordination, Fr Joe became assistant priest at Burnt Oak. During this time, he was also the chaplain to Edgware Hospital.

In 1978 he moved to Hillingdon and then to Yeading in 1982, where he was involved in counselling the bereaved and injured after the Zeebrugge ferry disaster in 1987. After becoming parish priest he moved to Gravel Hill in 1994, but he was forced to resign to look after his mother in Ireland. However, he was able to return to his diocese in 1996, after he recovered from a hip replacement operation. He took up the reins of St. Philip the Apostle, Finchley, where he remained until January, 2000 when due to failing health he moved to Ireland.

Mgr Christopher Creede

MGR CHRISTOPHER Creede who died on 16 October, was

born in Tullow, County Carlow, Ireland on 21 October 1920 and was educated by the Patrician Brothers. Joining the 13th Officer Cadet Class of the Irish Army in 1939, he became a Captain in 1950. Two years later he entered St. John's Seminary, Wonersh, to begin his studies for the priesthood. Bishop Bernard Patrick Wall ordained him as a priest for the Brentwood Diocese.

His first appointment as assistant priest was to Holy Family Parish, Dagenham, and in 1962 he was appointed parish priest of St. Bede:s, Chadwell Heath.

Upon the appointment of Bishop Patrick Casey as the new Bishop of Brentwood in 1970, he was chosen as his new Vicar-General, and in the same year was appointed parish priest of Our Lady of Lourdes, Wansteda post he held until his retirement to Dublin in February, 2000.

Loved by people across the age spectrum, he had a particular gift for remembering them individually.

Although the greater part of his life was spent in England, he looked upon his parishioners as extended family. He was laid to rest to with his parents in Tullow.

His Funeral Mass was celebrated by Bishop Thomas McMahon of Brentwood at the Church of St Therese, Mount Merrion, Dublin.




blog comments powered by Disqus