Page 19, 20th July 1935

20th July 1935
Page 19
Page 19, 20th July 1935 — The
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Mill Hill: 40 Priests Ordained

Page 5 from 12th July 1957

30 Missionary Priests Ordained

Page 1 from 14th July 1939

Ordinations

Page 7 from 13th July 1962

This Was To Be Her Son's Ordination Day

Page 1 from 9th July 1954

Episcopal Engagements

Page 5 from 10th April 1952

The

London Dioceses

Westminster

ORDINATIONS AT MILL HILL The Archbishop of Westminster officiated on Sunday at his first Mill Hill college ordination ceremony, when 23 priests and 24 subdeacons were ordained for the foreign missions controlled by the St. Joseph's society. In the afternoon, the Archbishop pontificated at Benediction, and the new priests took their oath of obedience to the call of the missions. Later he addressed the 47 candidates and other students, placing before them the ideals of the missionary life.

C.O.M. VISIT TO BUCKFAST ABBEY Forty-five Children of Mary from St. Charles's, Ogle Street, W., spent last Sunday at St. Mary's Buckfast. They joined a party of 100, under the leadership of Mr. J. V. A. Kelly of Acton, and after a nonstop run to Torquay, motored 50 miles through "glorious Devon," to the Benedictine Abbey, where they arrived in time for Vespers.

PROCESSION AT POPLAR Tropical weather did not deter record crowds both as processionists and witnesses on Sunday afternoon, when the annual Ransom Guild's procession took place from SS. Mary and Joseph's, Poplar. The Grail took part for the first time, and other deputations included the Blessed Sacrament Guild, K.S.C., and Children of Mary. Benediction in the church closed the ceremonies.

CHURCHES RE-DECORATED Two west London churches recently much improved as to their interiors are our Lady of the Holy Souls, Kensal New Town, and our Lady of Lourdes, Acton. At the Kensal church, an entirely new rubber flooring has been laid and the church has been completely re-seated; it remains open all day. At Acton the parish priest has taken in hand much new and artistic re-decoration of the high altar sanctuary, and also the altar in honour of St. Joseph.

SCHOLARSHIPS FROM FELTIIAM Although open but fifteen months, the new Catholic school of St. Lawrence, Feltham, is already earning distinctions. Of four candidates presented for the Middlesex county council open scholarships, three boys were highly successful, and two of them have been accepted at the Cardinal Vaughan school, Kensington.

PRIOR OF EALING BENEDICTINES RETIRES

It was,sannounced on Tuesday night at St. Benedict's priory, Ealing, that the prior. Dom Arthur Benedict Kuypers, 0.S.B., M.A., is retiring due to ill-health and that the present sub-prior, Dom Everard Edward Green Young, 0.S.B., has been appointed to take his place.

CHURCH PATRONAL FEAST AT RICHMOND The I 1 1 th annual patronal feast connected with the present church—which succeeds a former erection—was observed on Sunday at St. Elizabeth of Portugal, Richmond. An appeal was preached by the Rev. Downey of Mill Hill, on behalf of St. Joseph's foreign missions.

Southivark

BISHOP'S ENGAGEMENTS July 20, visitation and confirmation at Faversham; July 21, visitation and confirmation at Sheerness; July 24, visitation and confirmation at Haslemere; July 25. attends their Majesties' Garden Party at Buckingham Palace; July 26, presides at the presentation of prizes at Carsbalton convent; July 28, visitation and confirmation at Worthing.

CLERICAL CHANGES' Fr. Morley has been appointed parish priest of Northfleet in succession to Fr. Hauber who has been appointed to Guildford. Fr. Francis Donovan to be parish priest at Blackheath. Fr. C. Preedy to Englefield Green. Fr. Francis Day to be chaplain at Ashdown Park convent. Fr. Florance, recently ordained, to be an additional curate at Dover. Fr. P. Kehoe to be senior curate at Deptford.

FR. TREW'S JUBILEE

The Rev. Alexander Tress,. rector of St. Bartholomew's church, Norhury, celebrated the silver jubilee of his ordination on Wednesday. To mark the occasion a parish communion will be held at the church on Sunday, while a social will be held at the Prentis Hall, Streatham, the following week,

CATENIANS AT REQUIEM

The brothers of the Croydon circle of the Catenian Association attended a special mass at the church of the Holy Cross, Carshalton, on Sunday, for the repose of the soul of Mr. W. F. Finn, who was a prominent member of the association. The Rev. Albert H. Jenner, rector, gave. the address, and the Mass was sung by him.

"THE QUEEN'S" AT BEULAH HILL The 4th Battalion of the Queen's Royal Regiment (Territorial Army), stationed at Croydon, gave "The Retreat" in the grounds of St. Joseph's college, Beulah S.E., on Friday evening.

The drums and the silver band of the regiment were in attendance, under the command of Captain H. E. E. Ault, conducted by Band Master Plummer, and led by Drum Major Hall.

The bands swung into the gates from Beulah Hill, and formed up in the big field beside the college. When the National Anthem was played, there were close on 1,000 people present.

The function had been specially arranged by Capt. Ault for the benefit of the boys at the college.

NORWOOD CHURCH GARDEN FETE The parochial garden fete of the church of the Faithful Virgin, Central Hill. Upper Norwood. S.E.. was held in the grounds of St. Joseph's college, Beulah Hill, on Saturday.

The fete was in aid of the extension fund of the church, originated by Fr. J. O'Connor. Although he collected a large amount of money or this purpose, Fr. O'Connor died in 1933 without seeing his object fulfilled, and it was left to the present rector, the Rev. Fr. E. Larkin, to build the extra accommodation. The schools were built partly as a memorial to Fr. O'Connor.




blog comments powered by Disqus