Page 6, 20th September 2002

20th September 2002
Page 6
Page 6, 20th September 2002 — Obituaries

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.



Related articles

Tributes Pour In For Inspirational Priest

Page 2 from 13th October 2000

Battersea Salesians' Centenary

Page 2 from 1st December 1972


Page 7 from 9th September 1960


Fr John Harvey

FR JOHN HARVEY died on Sunday 11 August in St Joseph's Hospice, Thornton following a lengthy illness. He was 68 years of age.

Fr John was a humble, modest and gentle man who was devoted to the priestly ministry and gave distinguished service to the archdiocese of Liverpool.

He was born in Bradford, West Yorkshire on November 17, 1933, the son of John and Mary Harvey. He was educated in Yorkshire, at schools in Bradford and Leeds before attending St Mary's College, Crosby.

He studied for the priesthood at Ushaw College, Durham and was ordained to the priesthood on July 19, 1959 at St Francis de Sales Church, Walton, Liverpool.

Following his ordination, he was appointed as assistant priest at St Christopher's Speke.

A year later he was appointed to St Anne's, Edge Hill and remained there until 1966 when he moved to St Joseph's, Leigh.

In 1969 he went to St Thomas of Canterbury, Waterloo, in 1970 to St Patrick, Clinkham Wood, St Helens and in 1971 to St George's, Maghull.

Fr Harvey returned to St Thomas's in 1974 before a period of sick leave in 1982.

In 1983 he was appointed to Our Lady of Lourdes, Birkdale and in 1984 he became Chaplain to Notre Dame Convent, Birkdale.

In 1989 he was appointed to St Cecilia's Liverpool and then became chaplain to St Vincent's school for the blind and partially sighted in West Derby. In 1994 he was appointed priest in charge at St Cecilia's and later that year he moved to Our Lady of the Rosary, Leigh.

In 1995 he went to St Marie on the Sands, Southport where he remained until his final appointment in 1999 which was to St Mary's, Little Crosby as parish priest.

He became ill whilst at Little Crosby and died in St Joseph's hospice.

His Requiem was at St Mary's Church, Little Crosby on Monday 19 August.

Mgr James McGattnck


died suddenly in his presbytery at Swanley on September 4. He was 63years of age.

James McGattrick was born the eldest of three in Dublin on 18 April 1939. Educated at St Joseph's Academy, Blackheath and St Joseph's College, Mark Cross he studied for he priesthood at St John's Seminary, Wonersh and was ordained priest on 23 May 1964.

His first appointment was to the Sacred Heart parish in Camberwell in south London. Two years later he was appointed Chancellor of the Diocese, a post he held with distinction for 10 years. Whilst Chancellor he also worked as a chaplain to Guy's Hospital in the city of London. He became parish priest of St Mary of the Crays in 1980 and served there for seven years.

His next appointment was as parish priest of St Francis, Maidstone from 1987 until 1995. Jim was a member of the archdiocesan schools' commission from 1981-1986 when he became chairman of the ASC for Kent.

In 1995 he offered his services to the missionary apostolate in the Archdiocese of Durban, South Africa.

Upon his return in 1997 he was appointed parish priest of the Church of the Apostles, Swanley. In 2000 he was appointed Episocapl Vicar for Marriage and Family Life and in 2001 became the Dean of Gravesend. He also served as a team member to the Ministry to Priests.

Jim with his dry sense of humour and enjoyment of life was a cheerful, dedicated priest who worked in an industriously quiet, conscientious and efficient manner.

Fr Michael Collins

Fr Michael Collins, known to many as Sammy, was born in 1914 and trained for the priesthood at Mark Cross and St John's Seminary, Wonersh. He was ordained on 3 June 1939 and after a brief period at Redhill, was appointed assistant priest in the Church of the Precious Blood, Borough and in 1942 to Good Shepherd, Downham.

After the Second World War, in 1946, he moved to the South Coast where he served at St John the Baptist, Brighton for six years.

After brief spells at Divine Motherhood and St Francis Midhurst and Sacred Heart, Caterham he was appointed to St Joseph's, St Mary Cray in 1955.

In 1956, he moved to St Benet's, Abbey Wood as parish priest where he served for 12 years. In 1968, he was appointed to the new parish of Good Shepherd, New Addington. He approached the task of building up the community there with great dedication.

In 1982 he made the decision to retire and moved to Crewkerne in Somerset.

Despite failing health. he continued to be of service in local parishes, notably at South Petherton.

Recently he moved to Maryfield Convent, Hook in Hampshire where he died on the morning of 9 August. He was in his 89th year and in the 54th year of his priesthood.

blog comments powered by Disqus