Page 1, 21st July 1961

21st July 1961
Page 1
Page 1, 21st July 1961 — EXCAVATIONS AT WALSINGHAM
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Legal Study Group

Page 8 from 13th October 1961

Bishop Murphy-o'connor Co-chairs Arcic Ii

Page 1 from 17th June 1983

Why Was There So Little Resistance?

Page 3 from 1st January 1960

Post For Woman Archaeologist

Page 8 from 11th November 1949

Temperamental Historians

Page 5 from 28th June 1963

EXCAVATIONS AT WALSINGHAM

ACOMMITTEE among whose sponsors is Professor David Knowles, Regius Professor of History in the University of Cambridge, has been formed and is to start next month on excavations in Walsingham.

The excavations are to he confined to a thorough examination of the footings of the small building discovered by Canon Lee Warner over a century ago and believed by him to be the site of the medieval shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham.

The present owners of the Abbey ruins, Mr. and Mrs. John Gurney, have given permission for the work to be done and the approval of the Chief Inspector of Ancient Monuments has been obtained. Mr Charles Green, who has examined many medieval and early sites for the Ministry of Works has accepted the invitation of the Committee to conduct the excavation.

The exploration will have great archaeological and religious interest for all who know Walsingham and will be a valuable piece of research leading to a better knowledge of this site, the nature of which has been in doubt for so long.

It is hoped that the cost of the work will he borne by public subscription. The treasurer is Mr. J. B. L. Tolhurst, F.S.A., The Chantey, Walsingham, Norfolk.




blog comments powered by Disqus