for Edinburgh's St.
ST. MARY'S CATHEDRAL, Edinburgh, is to be linked with St. Andrew's Hall as part of a £300,000 complex, designed to contrast with the St. James's Square redevelopment.
The cathedral will have a new front and be extended. and will be "enshrined" in a low-slung three-part project which will include two gardens.
The aim is threefold: to maintain the character of a building which since 1814 has been the centre of Catholic life in the city, to improve and alter
it for modern conditions, and to blend the Gothic-style building with the "new look" of modern Edinburgh. The first phase is expected to be completed in two years.
Exposed concrete will mainly be used, in keeping with the towering buildings of the area. As part of the reconstruction of the front of the cathedral, a new baptistry and a soundproof children's chapel will he added. These additions, to the east of the present cathedral, will be linked by a covered way to new sacristies at the sanctuary end. The sanctuary will be extended and improved.
A staircase-and-lift tower will link the sacristy with the St. Andrew's Hall, the upper level of which will become the cathedral offices. A link is also provided from the higher level of ground at St. Andrew's Hall by a roof terrace to the eastern entrance of the cathedral.