by Fr. H. E. G. ROPE
A Traveller's Guide to the Churches of Rome by Mary Sharp (Hugh Evelyn, London, 30s.).
THIS book is meant for
intelligent travellers who need a brief account of all the churches they are likely to visit in Rome. No less than 162 are here described in sufficient detail, and the treatment is interesting and readable (St. Peter's, amply and singly provided elsewhere, is omitted). Good plans of many churches and regional street-maps are most helpfully given.
To exact scholarship it makes no claim, but certain errors and the numerous misspellings, due maybe to printers unused to Latin, should have been eliminated in the proofreading; e.g. such disfigurements as Minimites for Minims (p. 213), Via Tibutaina for Tiburtina (p. 183), vocatue for vocarur (p. 164), Gregory XXI for XVI (p. 175); also Ardentine for Ardeatine and Tre Fontana for Fontane could easily have been avoided.
It is specially regrettable that the page given to the church of the English College should he about the faultiest of all. The earliest church on this site was the old chapel of the English Hospice (1445). The eighthcentury church of the AngloSaxon colony (the Borgo) was near St. Peter's. It was not rebuilt by Alexander III; its ruins disappeared when Innocent III founded on its site the Hospital of Santo Spirito. St. Thomas of Canterbury was once in Rome, but where he stayed is not known. Cardinal Gasqu et's History of the Venerable English College, Rome (1920), which should have been consulted, is not even listed, although the writer, a non-Catholic (witness such expressions as "The Conception" p. 117) is in no way hostile. gelistas (p. 6), Annales Minorium, Liber Pontificatio.
In spite of these defects the book should meet the needs of many visitors. A revised edition with careful proof-reading would do it and its readers justice.