HISTORIC British churches, including a Catholic chapel build 70 years before the Emancipation Act of 1829, were given grants and loans totalling £92,785 last year for essential repairs.
According to the Historic Churches Preservation Trust, which was created in 1952 by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York on the initiative of the Church Assembly, 173 An glican parishes churches, four Noncomformist chapels and two Catholic churches benefited from last year's aid.
One of the Catholic churches is that of St. Cyprian, at Chudleigh, Devon, which was given a loan and a grant totalling £1,000. This church, which stands on the site of a chapel going back to very ancient times, was built to the design of Robert Adam, a Scots Pres
byterian, about 1760, to serve as a Catholic chapel some 70 years before the Catholic Emancipation Act.
The second Catholic church, which was given a grant of £750 is that of St. John at Norwich, which serves a parish going back to 1722. Of the four Nonconformist chapels, one is a Methodist, two are not designated, and the fourth is Moravian.