Page 14, 22nd October 1937

22nd October 1937
Page 14
Page 14, 22nd October 1937 — EAST HENDRED
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Organisations: A. Kelly
Locations: Rochester, London

Share


Related articles

Mr. C. T. Eyston

Page 14 from 29th July 1938

Pre-reformation Chapel At East Hendred

Page 14 from 24th June 1938

Pisky's And Other Wee Beasties

Page 10 from 23rd May 1986

Church Re-ordered To Mark Centenary

Page 8 from 14th October 1983

Converted Barn Is Now East %ley "basilica"

Page 5 from 25th March 1948

EAST HENDRED

By the kindness of Mr. T. M. Eyston, J.P., a number of Catholics from London were privileged last Sunday, to pay a visit to the historic residence, Hendred House, at East Hendred and the ancient chapel of St. Amand, adjoining, which has been the private chapel of the Eyston family since the reign of Henry the Sixth. Organised and led by Mr. J. V. A. Kelly, the party first paid a devotional visit to the chapel and were then admitted to the house, where they saw the More pictures and other treasures. Afterwards a visit was paid to the handsome Catholic parish church, St. Mary's, and also to the pre-Reformation church of the village.

The canonisation of Thomas More and John Fisher has invested East Hendrcd with an even higher interest than it already had in Catholic annals. By the marriage of a son of St. Thomas with Anne Crisaker, the Eystons are directly descended from the More family. In Hendrcd House are preserved St. Thomas More's drinking-cup and St. John of Rochester's walking-staffs.




blog comments powered by Disqus