FOR the first time in more than 450 years a Catholic priest has celbrated a Requiem Mass in the Chanty Chapel on Wakefield Bridge. The Mass took place on September 18 as part of the programme to mark the 650th anniversary of the chapel.
The Chanty was originally established, in 1356, as a Mass house where priests offered the Sacred Mysteries for the repose of the souls of the dead that they might pass
through purgatory to be united with Christ in heaven. However, it passed into secular hands in 1545 at the time of the dissolution of the Chantries during the Protestant Reformation, and then to the Church of England in the 1840s,
Now in the care of the Dean and Chapter of Wakefield Cathedral, the historic chapel has this week hosted a Requiem Mass celebrated by Bishop Arthur Roche of Leeds.