Dom J. A. Aelred Clarke, O.S.B.
AMPLEFORTH PRIEST, WORKED 21 YEARS IN WARRINGTON.
Fr. Awed ciente Was norn at &endow in item niu teCCIVeU his early euucation lrom tne scnom at vvootuatuptun in USC uays Wuefl IL eats itt use uanus or toe seetear clergy. rime mete tie went to Arnmetortn m set tne age 01 21) ne receiveu tile maw oi at. rseneuict at minim, at mat rime me consmull novitiate nouse tor ad We Engusn nenemetutea, anis in 1891 maue nis acseutn vows at Ampielorth, he was oroainea priest in 1894.
Alter some years on the teaching staff ot the senoot he was sent to join in panan weak, tug at ht. Ames, Liverpool, men at mertnyr 1 ydvia, and for twelve years he servea St. Maty s, Cardiff. In 192u he was moved to Warrington waere the rest oi nis Ott was spent, nrst as a curate at St. Renewet's, and tnen from 1923 as head priest at St. Alban S. Some weeks ago he colaracteu congestion of tne lungs situ became gravely id, out ne rallied and seemed to be convalescent when he died somewnat unexpectemy on the 16th of January.
Requiem Mass for the repose of his soul was cembrated in St. Alban's on Tuesday last, and he was buried at Warrington.
Rev. IL 0. Eaton
LINK WITH CARDINAL NEWMAN.
Father Robert Ormston Eaton, of the Oratory, Edgbaston, died last Saturday in the General Hospital, Birmingham, at the age of 76. Some two years ago he had a serious illness from which he was not then expected Co recover, but such was his vitality that he lived to resume with energy his priestly duties, and also to celebrate last September the golden jubilee of his ordination. On that occasion he received gifts from a variety of circles—from parishioners, from the choir, and from many encieties. Latterly, be had been forced to give up his usual busy routine and receive the nursing attention of the Sisters of St. Vincent de Paul at Selly Oak.
Fr. Eaton had the distinction of sharing only with Er. Denis Shiel a direct association with Cardinal Newman, for both became members of the Oratory community at Edgbaston during the lifetime of the Cardinal. Father Denis Shiel is, thus, the last remaining link with the Cardinal...Fr. Eaton was admitted as a novice on December 20, 1886, when he was just over twenty years of age, and was ordained on September 19, 1891. He recalled how he and the late Fr. Pereira used to share the daily task of serving the Cardinal's Mass.
The predominant impression which Fr. Robert Eaton produced on those who knew him intimately was his intense and inexhaustible vitality. He was bitthly disappointed only a few Sundays ago that he was compelled to forego his turn at preaching. Within the space of a single day he was able to compress so much work as would have taken a less energetic man several days to accomplish.
One of his constant aims was to extend a knowledge of Holy Scripture among English speaking Catholics, and though he never claimed to be a profound scholar in the technical sense, he had in fact a profound knowledge of the Sacred Text.
The burial took place on Tuesday at Rednal where Cardinal Newman rests with other departed members of his community. 1 large congregation of clergy and, laity attended the Requiem Mass at the Oratory preceding the interment. Father Francis Vincent Rude, Superior at the Oratory. officiated in the presence of the Archbishop of Birmingham, and was assisted among others by Father Clement Bevan, of Brompton Oratory, a cousin of Father Eaton. The Absolutions were given by the Archbishop.
BROTHER OF LATE ARCHBISHOP The only Mayor of Preston since the Reformation, ex-Alderman Oswald Aloysius Goodier, K.C.S.G., died on Monday at his home in Aston-on-Ribble, Preston, after being in poor health for a considerable time.
Born in 1872, he was a brother of the late Archbishop Alban Goodies, Si., former Archbishop of Bombay, who died nearly three years ago.
Though born at Great Harwood, Mr. Goodier had lived, since about two years of age. in Preston. He was educated at the former Xaverian Brothers' School and Preston Catholic College before going to Stonyburst College.
A .leading solicitor in Preston and a past president of the Inca] Incorporated Law Society, he also attained a prominent position in civic life, in addition to his many Catholic activities. Centuries-old traditions and prejudices Were broken when the Town Council elected him Mayor for 1937-8 and passed a resolution removing the condition that mayors must visit the parish church, a condition which had precluded leading Catholics and Nonconformists from accepting the mayoralty in the past. Councillor Goodier, who paid his State visits to St. Wilfrid's Church, fulfilled the highest expectations during his year of office and by his dignity and amiability, enhanced his previously great popularity with all sections of the community.
In 1939 he was made an alderman of the Town Council, which he entered in 1924, and there was great regret when health compelled him last September to resign from the council and other offices, including the Board of Governors of Preston Catholic College.
For his distinguished services to religion, he was made a Knight Commander of St. Gregory in 1936, and his numerous high positions included past Grand President of the Catenian Association. He gave £1,000 towards the new Sacred Heart Church, built near his home, and £1,000 to endow a bed in St. Joseph's, Hospital, Preston.
Mr. Thomas Hawkswell
A prominent and highly respected figure in Catholic and farming circles in Wharfedale was Mr. Thomas Hawkswell, of the Nunnery Farm, Arthington, near Leeds, who died on January 16. Elder brother of Mgr. Canon Hawkswell, V.G., of the English Martyrs Church, York, he came of a family which had been yeomen farmers for generations. 'The farmstead at Arthington is a conspicuous landmark on the HerewoodOrley Road and retains many of the old features, including the greater part of the pre-Reformation nunnery which gives it its name. The farm was a model of its kind, and Mr. Hawkswell gained high awards at agricultural shows. He was a foundation member of the Wetherby Catenian Circle and a past president. .
Solemn Requiem Mass was celebrated at St Edward's, Clifford, on Tuesday last by Mgr. Hawkswell, and the interment took place at St. Edward's Cemetery.
Mr. James Quinn
Mr. James Quinn. who died suddenly on January 14, at Llandudno, was for years a weekday Mass server in London, and, for the past year in Llandudno. He was preparing to go to Mass when be collapsed and died.
Mr. Quinn was connected with many Catholic Societies and, in Liverpool, • was at one time Editor of the C.Y.M.S. official organ (The "Catholic Circle ") and Assistant General Secretary of that body.
He was also an S.V.P. Society official, having been Secretary of the Kentish Town, London, Conference, for over 10 years prior to his removal to Llandudno in 1940.