Page 5, 23rd July 1954

23rd July 1954
Page 5
Page 5, 23rd July 1954 — FOR 20 YEARS
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

People: Archard, John Knight
Locations: Watford Borough

Share


Related articles

All The Best For New Hens School

Page 7 from 5th October 1956

H.q. For Salford Diocese

Page 1 from 24th January 1964

It's Not Only Men In The Dominicans...

Page 4 from 2nd February 1996

Obituary

Page 10 from 26th September 1997

Salford Priory As Offices

Page 3 from 17th July 1964

FOR 20 YEARS

THE Dominican Sisters of the Rosary Priory, Bushey, Herts, are bearing the whole of the Catholic contribution—probably about 167,500 — towards the cost of building the £135,000 Catholic Secondary Modern School at Garston, Watford, the foundation stone of which was laid on Saturday by Cardinal Griffin.

The Sisters already conduct schools covering several parishes in the area, and those who are to teach at Garston have, as one of the community put it, "mortgaged their salaries over the next 20 years."

The new school will be the first to rise in she diocese without any charge on the central fund.

Lay masters will help the Sisters to teach 500 boys and girls over the age of 11 corning from Watford, St. Albans, Abbots Langley. Bushey, Carpenders Park and Hemel Hempstead.

Special provision is being made for classes in hciuseeraft. general and rural science, woodwork, metalwork, needlework, art and music.

On a day soggy with rain, few people were there to hear Cardinal Griffin express his deep gratitude to the Sisters.

6 Most helpful -.Without the self-sacrifice and devotion of the gOtad Sisters' work," he said, "the Church in this country would be greatly impaired."

His Eminence praised the architect, Mr. Archard. and thanked the Hertford Education Committee and officials of the Watford Borough and Rural Area "for all they have done and especially for being most helpful in the construction of the school."

After the ceremony. the Cardinal met Mr. and Mrs. John Knight. who have for several years offered facilities in their public house. "The Three Horseshoes," for the people of St. Michael's parish, Garston, to hear Mass.

Each week, the Mass equipment is pushed there in a perambulator by two ladies and one of the men of the parish.




blog comments powered by Disqus