Page 2, 23rd March 1990

23rd March 1990
Page 2
Page 2, 23rd March 1990 — Namibia greetings

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.



Related articles

Namibia Church Outlaws Remarks By Mps

Page 2 from 8th February 1985

Army Roasts Boy In Namibia

Page 2 from 28th October 1988

One Year On Namibia Awaits Freedom

Page 2 from 29th March 1991

Namibia Ushers In Independence

Page 1 from 23rd March 1990

Prayers For Namibia

Page 4 from 24th October 1986

Namibia greetings

CONGRATULATING the Namibian Council of Churches on it s country's independence this week, the Revd Michael Taylor, director of Christian Aid, said: "We celebrate with you your independence following the many years oY struggle. We pray God's blessing on you and your churches as you work together for peace and reconciliation." ChristianAid, together with Oxfam, is urging the British government and the EEC to arrange favourable trading ties with Namibia.

RACISM is on the rise in France, churchmen have warned after attacks on Moroccan youths in the towns of Roanne and St Florentin left one dead and another paralysed last week. Cardinal Jean-Marie Lustiger of Paris strongly condemned the attacks, saying he feared for France in the wake of such "pure savagery".

CROWDS have circled the Cathedral of St George hi the Ukrainian city of Lvov following attempts by the Russian Orthodox Church to prevent the cathedral falling into the hands of Ukrainian Catholics. The building was locked by the Orthodox authorities and talks aimed at resolving the dispute have broken down. The Ukrainian Catholic Church, forcibly joined with the Orthodox by Stalin in 1946, was legalised again last year, but disagreements over property surfaced soon afterwards.

HOPES that the fighting between rival Christian armies in East Beirut had ended were dashed this week when renewed artillery fire broke out between the two sides. On Monday forces led by General Michel Aoun clashed with the Lebanese Forces militia under Samir Geagea in a confrontation lasting six hours. Last week General Aoun had announced the fighting would stop, following a plea for peace from the Pope.

blog comments powered by Disqus