For Cardinal Griffin, Archbishop of Westminster: January 30, Archbishop's House. Attends annual general meeting of the Society of St. Augustine, 4 p.m. Dorchester Hotel. Attends dinner of the Westminster Diocesan Catholic Doctors' Guild, 7 p.m.
For Mgr. Amigo, Archbishop-Bishop of Southwark: January 26. Ordination at Notre Dame Convent, Southwark, 10.0 Visitation and Confirmation at Clapham Park, 6.0. January 29. At Bishop's House, presides at the Deans' meeting, 3.0.
For Mgr. Flynn, Bishop of Lancaster: January 25. Attends K.S.C. board meeting at Birmingham.
Nottingham For Mo.. Ellis, Bishop of Nottingham t January 25. Attends Council meeting of Diocesan C.P.E.A., at the Cathedral Hale Nottingham. Beeston Lads' Club, Becston, Notts. Attends supper of helpers at Beeston C.W.L. Canteen, 6.30 p.m. January 26. Visitation and Confirmation, Holy Cross Dominican Priory Church, Leicester. Addresses Catholic Youth Association at Youth Club, Derby Road, 8 p.m. January 27. Annual general meeting of the Nottingham Council of the Catholic Parents' and Electors' Association at the Cathedral Hall, Nottingham, 7.30 p.m.
APPOINTMENTS Nottingham The following appointments are announced in the diocese of Nottingham: The Rem T. Nunn, Leicester, to be parish priest of St. Joseph's, Shirebrook, Derbyshire; the Rev. V. Key, Nottingham, to be assistant miest at Our Lady's, Leicester.
The following appointment is announced in the diocese of Northam,ton: Canon E. H. Stokes, formerly Rector of King's Lynn, to be parish priest at Our Lady and the English Martyrs, Cambridge. Ills predecessor, the Rev. Guy Pritchard, has resigned owing to ill-health.
On Sunday, January 29, at St. John's Seminary, Wonersh, the ArchbishopBishop of Southwark conferred the subdiaconate on the Rev. Richard Fawssett.
At Mount St. Bernard Cistercian Abbey, Charnwood Forest, Leicestershire, on January 19, by the Bishop of Nottingham, the following were ordained priests: the Revv. Gilbert Smithson, Thomas Le Blanc Smith, and Michael Kelly, O.C.R.
ANNOUNCEMENTS Travelling Mission The centre to be visited this weekend will be Pembury, in the parish of Tunbridge Wells. Mass will be said in the Oast House, Henwood Green Road, at 8.30, and also at Harnsell Manor, Eridge, at 10, on Sunday, January 26. During die next few months the activities of the Travelling Mission will have to be reduced as there is only one priest available for the work for the time being, Newman Association
The International Committee has arranged for Wednesday, January 29, at 6.45 p.m., at 114, Mount Street, W.1, a lecture on "A Recent Visit to Germany." The speaker will be Mr. A. C. F. Beales.
At the quarterly meeting of the DianIngham Guild of Catechists last Saturday, it was stated that at the recent examinations five candidates received a Catechist's licence. A lecture on scriptural difficulties was given by the Rev. R. J. Foster, S.T.L., L.S.S., of Oscott College.
Concerts at Fulham
Several Catholic artistes are taking part in a series of concerts arranged by Mr. Timothy Toomey at the Central Library, 598, Fulham Road, S.W.6. The last three concerts, on Mondays at 7.30 p.m., will be held on February 3, 17, and March 3. Admission is free.
ARCHBISHOP WILLIAMS It has been decided to continue the Birmingham Diocesan appeal for donations to the late Archbishop Williams' Memorial Fund until well in the New Year. The appeal is for £25,000 and subscriptions should be sent to Provost H. D. Yea (treasurer), St. Mary's, The Mount, Walsall ; Canon F. de Capitain, Holy Trinity, Sutton Coldfield; or to Mr. J. H. Malley, J.P., Abington Lodge, The Crescent, Solihull.
SOCIETIES C.Y.M.S., Birmingham
At the quarterly conference of the Birmingham North District Council of the C.Y.M.S., held last week, J. Baggott, bon. secretary. reported that replies had been received to letters protesting against the imprisonment of Archbishop Stepinac, sent to 13 Birmingham M.P.s and one Smethwick M.P.
CARDINAL VILLENEUVE Cardinal Villeneuve, Archbishop of Quebec, died at Los Angeles on January 17. His illness, following a heart attack in Quebec, was a long one, though it was reported last week that his health had improved sufficiently for him to leave the Misericordia Hospital in New York.
The son of a shoemaker, the Cardinal was educated at St. Louis College and Ottawa University, where he took three doctorates. He was ordained in 1907 at the age of 23, and was appointed professor of philosophy at St. Joseph's Scholasticate of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, Ottawa, where he had received his ecclesiastical training. He later taught theology and canon law and was appointed Superior of the Scholasticate in 1920. He became Dean of the Faculty of Theology and professor of canon law at the Pontifical University of Ottawa in 1929.
In 19.30 he was consecrated the first Bishop of GraveIbourg in Saskatchewan and in December of the following year he succeeded Cardinal Rouleau as Archbishop of Quebec, He was created Cardinal in 1933.
A great biblical and literary scholar, Cardinal Villeneuve served on the Pontifical Commission for Biblical Studies. He was also the author of many out. spoken articles dealing with the Catholic attitude to social and political problems in the province of Quebec and the world at large. He was a fearless opponent of Fascism and Communism and extreme nationalism. He dissociated himself from the movement towards establishing a separatist State in Fiends Canada, and maintained that French-speaking Canadians should foster their ancient heritage while keeping a " deep, precious love for Canada."
He was appointed Papal Legate for the first National Eucharistic Congress at Quebec in 1938 and at the St. Joan of Arc celebrations at Domremy a year later.
During his visit to Europe in 1935 the Cardinal was received by King George V at Buckingham Palace, where he gave an assurance of the complete loyalty of Canadian Catholics, When the present King and Queen visited Quebec its May, 1939. all the church bells were rung by order of the Cardinal.
THE REV. W. BAYLISS The Rev. William Bayliss, who until his retirement in 1944, was parish priest of Our Lady of Assumption, Swynnerton, Staffs, has died at the age of 81.
For 39 years he filled the office of chaplain to the Fitzherbert family, serving in that time three Lord Staffords—Francis Edward (the 12th holder of thy title), Admiral Lord Stafford (the 13th) and the present Lord Stafford, son of Mrs. Fitzherbert and the late lion. T. C. Fitzherbert, with whom Fr. Bayliss was at Oscott College.
He was also at Cotton College and he maintained contact with that college all his life, acting for many years as chaplain to the Old Boys' Association. Ordained in 1892 he was first appointed to Our Lady of Angels, Stokeon-Trent, and remained there for 16 years before going to Swynnerton in 1908. When he celebrated the golden jubilee of his priesthood in 1942, the Protestants of Swynnerton asked that they be allowed to make a presentation to him. Unfortunately, two years later, he sustained a broken leg and failing to recover completely, he was compelled to seek retirement.
Mrs. Fitzherhert, In an appreciation, said: " Fr. Bayliss was the most humble and self-effacing person I have ever known. He was a wonderful man and R saintly priest, never once thinking of himself, but always of others. Even on the occasion of his golden jubilee, when he was literally showered with gifts from all directions, he refused to believe that he was worthy of the praise and esteem people paid to trim."
Canon B. Moore, of St. Austin's, Stafford, officiated at the Requiem, assisted by two nephews of Fr. Bayliss, Fr. G. Bayliss, S.J., and Fr. F. Bayliss. Mgr. Bright, Vicar-Copitutar of Birmingham, gave the Final Absolution.
THE REV. B. PEARSON
The Rev. Basil Pearson, priest of the diocese of Brentwood, died on January 16, at the hospital of SS. John and Elizabeth, aged 35. He was educated at Cotton College, and the English College in Rome, where he was ordained on December 19, 1936. Then he was appointed assistant priest at Colchester, where he remained for about five years, until stricken with illness, which ended with his death. During these last years Fr. Pearson was able to do intermittent work as convent chaplain, chiefly with the evacuated Les Oiseaux Community at Millichope Hall, in Shropshire, who held him in the highest esteem. During the last few months he had been chaplain to the Ursuline Convent at Brentwood. Those to whom he ministered. during the short years of his life as a priest held his name in benediction, and were edified by his fine priestly character and his kind and gentle bearing. The Requiem was sung last Tuesday in the church at Romford, where for many years he was a most devoted altar server. The Bishop of Brentwood, with many of the diocese:, gluey,essisted at the Mass. Which was i'oemme by the burial in the cemetery at Upa.-; sta.
DOM PLACID BARR, O.S.B.
We regret to record the sudden death on January 15 of Dom Placid Barr, 0.S.B., M.A., shortly after giving Benediction. He had been in indifferent health for some time, but his energy remained boundless to the end.
Fr. Barr was born at Coventry in 1901 and after his early education at St. Osburg's, Coventry, and Douai School, Woodhampton, he entered the Benedictine novitiate at Fort Augustus in 1921. He was ordained priest in 1928, took a degree in History at Oxford and joined the teaching staff at Douai. Here he remained until the outbreak of war. As a military chaplain he saw service in most of the major campaigns in Europe and the Middle East. After demobilisation he was appointed parish priest at Alcester, Warwickshire, where he remained until his death. Among his many good works there were the establishment of branches of the C.Y.M.S. and the Young Christian Workers.
Requiem Mass was said at Alcester on Saturday in the presence of the High and Low Bailiff of the town. The funeral took place at Douai on Saturday after a Pontifical Requiem. The Abbot of Douai officiated at the graveside. Relatives, including Fr. Placid's mother, attended, as well as parishioners from Alcester.
DOM LAWRENCE MAXWELL, O.S.B.
Dons Oswald Lawrence Maxwell died in the hospital of St. Raphael, in Edinburgh, on January 19. He had joined the Benedictines of Belmont Abbey, Hereford, in 1921. at the age of 24, and after his ordination in 1927, besides teaching in the Abbey school, filled the office of bursar until 1943, when he was sent as chaplain to the Sacred Heart Convent at Bridge-ofEarn, Perthshire. His health had not been good for many years, and early in 1946 he became seriously al and went to Edinburgh for treatment, His brother, Fr. Louis Maxwell, is at Gorton, Manchester. He was buried at Belmont Abbey on January 23.
FR. J. CASEY, S.C.
The Rev. Fr. Joseph Casey, S.C., died at the Salesian College, Farnborough, Hants, on January 20. He had been ill for some months and his death, quiet and peaceful, came as a release from suffering borne with patience and cheerfulness. Fr. Casey was born in New York in 1878, and in six days would have attained his 69th birthday. He entered the Salesian College at Battersea in 1893, and began his Novitiate at Burwash in 1898, being perpetually professed in 1900. He was ordained priest at Portsmouth in May, 1907, and has, in almost 40 years of priesthood, worked in various parts of the widely spread Salesian Province. After many years in South Africa, and in Malta, Fr. Casey did teaching or parochial work at Battersea and at Burwash, in Sussex. Shortly after the outbreak of war in 1939, he went to the Salesian College at Farnborough, where he remained until his death.
SIR ALEXANDER MAGUIRE
Sir Alexander Maguire, who died in London, on Monday, aged 70, was the first and only secretary of the Apostleship of the Sea and a founder of the Metropolitan Cathedral, Liverpool. Sir Alexander had been a Privy Chamber lain to the Pope since 1940. It was through his efforts as an employer in the struggle for the improving of con ditions in the match industry that the use of white phosphorus in match manufacture was banned in this country nearly 40 years ago and eventually throughout the whole world. As a result the toll among match work's% of the dreadful disease of phosphorus necrosis was reduced to practically nothing. For his services in this field, Sir Alexander received his knighthood in 1917. Requiem Mass will be offered at Farm Street to-n191791,4