Weld, MC WAR HERO LieutenantColonel Humphrey Joseph Giles Weld died aged 86. He was born in 1912 into an old Roman Catholic landowning family in Dorset. Humphrey Weld was educated at Stonyhurst, the Lancashire school founded by his ancestor, Thomas Weld (1750-1810) of Lulworth Castle. Thomas Weld's eldest son, also Thomas, was ordained priest after his wife died, and later became a cardinal.
Humphrey Weld was commissioned into the Queen's Bays (2nd Dragoon Guards) in 1934 and saw distinguished service in north Africa, winning the MC at Mareth and suffering wounds more than once. He went on to fight in Italy against atrocious odds, gaining success but with the loss of many of the lives of his men.
He retired from army life in 1956 and played a leading part in Dorset life, becoming Deputy Lieutenant and deputy Chairman of the County magistrates Courts Committee.
He was a knight of the Order of Malta (Knight Grand Cross) and worshipped at the church of Our Lady and St Ignatius, Chideock.
He married Frances, nee Fraser, of Moniack Castle, Invemesslaire, in 1948, and they had a son and three daughters.
Fr Malachy Mulligan
FR MULLIGAN was born in Ireland 85 years ago and ordained in 1937 at Carlow. His first appointment as Assistant Priest was at St Bede's, Sacriston, but shortly afterwards he was moved, first to St Mary's, Blackhill, and then to Port Clarence where he
Spent four years. In September,1941 he was at St Bede's, Newcastle upon Tyne, where he spent a short period before being moved to Ss Mary and Thomas Aquinas, Stella, until February 1945.
His next appointment was at St Hilda's„ Sunderland, until he was made Parish Priest at St Joseph's, Highfield, in August, 1956. Seven years later he returned to his first parish, St Bede's, Sacriston, where he served the people until his retirement in September 1987, shortly after celebrating his Golden Jubilee. He died on July 1st in his home at Doohanilet, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan.
Fr William Bennett FR BENNETT was born at Ballysalla, County Kilkenny in Ireland. He studied at St Kieran's and was ordained priest in 1954 by the Bishop of Ossory. His first appointment as an Assistant Priest was at Our Lady's, Washington. Almost 11 years later he was moved to Our Lady SE St Cuthbert's, Berwick upon Tweed, and then on to St John Vianney, West Denton.
In September 1970 he was appointed Assistant Priest at St Alban's, Pelaw, and succeeded as Parish Priest in June 1971. He suffered a stroke and then a second one in April 1901 but, with great courage, he made a partial recovery and continued to serve his people until he retired in October 1993. Since then he has lived in a flat at St Aloysius', Hebburn, until he Was taken to hospital about two weeks before his death early in the morning on Friday, 10 July, in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead. He was 68 years old.