Page 14, 24th June 1938

24th June 1938
Page 14
Page 14, 24th June 1938 — SOUTHWARK RALLY Houses Decorated and Shrines Erected
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Southwark's Peace Procession

Page 11 from 26th June 1936

Canterbury Pilgrimage British Legion's Courteous Act

Page 14 from 15th July 1938

The "silent March" Pilgrims From All Over Britain

Page 1 from 2nd September 1938

Sun Shines For Corpus Christi

Page 15 from 4th June 1937

Southwark

Page 19 from 22nd November 1935

SOUTHWARK RALLY Houses Decorated and Shrines Erected

On Monday, June 20, the members of the Guild of the Blessed Sacrament assembled in great numbers at Southwark

Cathedral. It is estimated that at least 3,000 men walked in the procession which passed through the streets from the Cathedral to St. George's Circus and back again.

Many Catholics whose houses were on the route decorated their windows and placed shrines in prominent places. Men and women and children lined the processional way with lighted candles in their hands and knelt as the Blessed Sacrament was carried past.

A large number of non-Catholics watched the impressive scenes with respect. Thanks to loudspeakers those who were unable to enter the crowded cathedral heard the sermon preached by Dr. George Winham and the service. The loudspeakers also enabled the singing during the procession to be accompanied.

Before the procession started His Grace the Archbishop thanked the men for assembling in so great numbers, and asked them to help him to make a great success of the Brighton National Conference of the Catholic Truth Society from September 9 to 12, and the Canterbury Pilgrimage on July 10.

NEW WATFORD CONVENT Opening Next Week

The first opening of a Carmelite convent since the death of Cardinal Bourne will take place at Watford on Friday, July 1, at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Mgr. Myers will officiate, and Fr. Vernon Johnson will preach.

The new convent is situated in Nascot Wood Road, and consists of a large building in four acres of ground. The convent is situated in the parish of Holy Rood, but is two miles from Holy Rood Church, so should prove very useful to people living in that district for Sunday and weekday Mass, which will always be at 8 o'clock, with Benediction on Sundays at 5 o'clock.

CATHOLIC SCOUTS Guild at Brentwood

The Bishop of Brentwood has decided that there should he a CatholieScout Guild for the Diocese of Brentwood. He has appointed the Rev. A. C. O'Brien Diocesan Chaplain-General of Boy Scouts, and chairman of the new Guild.

It is intended that a diocesan general parade of all Catholic Scouts in the diocese be held each year on the Sunday after the Feast of St. Thomas More in July. This year the parade will be held early in October.

The Bishop wishes all Catholic Groups in the diocese to belong to the Guild.

Catholic Ramblers' Club

The St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Ramblers' Club are having a weekend camp (June 25-26) at Harvel, Kent. Train, 1.35 on Saturday from Victoria to Mcopham.

Their guests for tea on Sunday will be the Stephendale Road Conference S.V.P. Any member of the Club may come and help entertain, but please notify.

Walsingham Medal for Youth Rally

A new Walsingham medal has been cast especially for the great National Youth Rally which is to take place at Walsingham, July 1-3.

This medal will be an sale at Walsingham, price Id.




blog comments powered by Disqus