Page 15, 24th March 1939

24th March 1939
Page 15
Page 15, 24th March 1939 — NEW CHURCH FOR BRISTOL
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Glastonbury's First Parish Church

Page 10 from 28th July 1939

Of New Housing Areas In London

Page 15 from 31st March 1939

Foundation Stone

Page 7 from 12th August 1949

Stone Laid For Swindon Church

Page 5 from 28th March 1952

Westerham Stone

Page 8 from 30th April 1954

NEW CHURCH FOR BRISTOL

Bishop Lee Lays Foundation Stone From Our Own Correspondent

The foundation stone of a new church which will be dedicated to the Sacred Heart, was laid by Mgr. William Lee, Bishop of Clifton, at Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol, on March 18. Although the building of the church continues, had weather had

delayed the stone laying ceremony until the waits were well advanced.

Speaking to the large gathering within the roofless walls, the Bishop said that those who lived in that part had looked forward for years to that event.

GROWING DISTRICT Means to meet the cost of building were still lacking. but there had been such a big increase in the numbers of Catholics in the district that it was decided to go forward with the work.

The sum needed was between eight and nine thousarid pounds, and the Bishop felt sure that the people of Westbury-on-Tryrn would see that that amount was secured.

The Very Rev. Mgr. Canon P. Long and the Veiy Rev. Canon 3. J. Hayes assisted the Bishop, while the Rev. Dr. J. Rea, the Bishop's secretary, was Master of Ceremonies.




blog comments powered by Disqus