Page 1, 24th May 1991

24th May 1991
Page 1
Page 1, 24th May 1991 — Mengistu's flight 'good sign' for Ethiopia's starving millions
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Locations: Lisbon, London

Share


Related articles

Peace Hopes For Ethiopia's Starving

Page 1 from 31st May 1991

`new Optimism' In Eaceful Ethio Ia

Page 2 from 12th July 1991

Stop This Fraticidal Conflict,

Page 4 from 2nd June 2000

Hope On Famine At Year's End

Page 2 from 6th December 1991

Changes In The East Make For Peace

Page 3 from 27th December 1991

Mengistu's flight 'good sign' for Ethiopia's starving millions

by Timothy Elphick

THE departure of Ethiopian President Mengistu Haile Mariam from his famine-hit country could ease difficulties in transporting relief to the worst affected areas and make peace more likely, the Catholic Fund for Overseas Development said this week.

Richard Miller, CAFOD's Africa projects officer, said President Mengistu's departure meant a better chance of a successful outcome for United States-sponsored peace talks between the Ethiopian government and opposition forces, due to begin in London on Monday.

But it was too early to say whether the door to peace would be opened, Mr Miller said. And he pointed out that the escalation in fighting which had forced Mengistu to flee had also closed the "southern line" for relief supplies to Tigray run by the Joint Relief Partnership (JRP) of Ethiopian churches.

More than eight million people in Ethiopia are believed to be at risk of starvation and disease as the result of drought and war.

Mr Miller said that the London conference on Ethiopia

was an opportunity to stop the country sliding into anarchy. Agreement had to be found for a controlled handover of power to an interim administration, as a prelude to a general election, he said.

Relief supplies should be allowed to pass without restriction from government to rebel-held territory and vice versa, Mr Miller said. He urged all sides to ensure that food convoys could resume Operations along the IRP route to the north at the earliest opportunity.

President Mengistu was believed to have taken refuge in Zimbabwe.

• FIGHTING in Angola's civil war has intensified in the east and north of the country ahead of cease-fire talks between the government of President Jose Eduardo dos Santos and Unita rebels, according to Angelo Simonazzi of CAFOD, recently returned from the country.

Relief agencies such as CAFOD's partner Caritas Angola would be able to reach areas which had been cut off by the war for the first time if agreement was found at the Lisbon peace conference, scheduled for May 31. Mr Simonazti said.




blog comments powered by Disqus