HISTORIC PLACES SHARE GRANTS
By F. C. PRICE
AT least 19 of the grants recommended by the
Historic Buildings Council for England in its annual report, published last week, are to buildings with Catholic associations. St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, for instance, founded in 1473, receives £3,500.
Its founder, Robert Woodlark, set up the College "for a small party of priests to pray for their founder and to complete their education by a study of theology and philosophy". Today, however, none of the original buildings remain.
Astley Hall, Lancashire, which receives £5,000, was built in the 16th century on land once owned by the Knights Hospitallers. and £1,000 is to he spent on Clare Priory, Suffolk, believed to be the first establishment of the Austin Friars in England.
The main surviving buildings are the Prior's house, converted into a dwelling house in 1604, and the building now used as the chapel of the priory, which retains its mediaeval roof,
A mediaeval tithe barn, built in the 14th century at Great Cnxvvell, Berkshire, will get a grant of £8,300. It Is one of the most splendid barns In England, and Is still in daily use.
Another (1,0(11) will be spent on the Deanery Tower at Hadleigh, Suffolk, built iu 1495 by Archdeacon Pykenham. The Oxford Movement had its beginnings at a conference held in one of the tower rooms.
Although Hatehland, Clandon. Surrey, was only built in 1757. it stands on the former site of Chertsey Abbey. founded in. 666 by Erkenwald, later Bishop of London, who became its first abbot. This building will also receive a grant.