The Pretnonstratensian Abbey of Welbeck. By A. Hamilton Thompson. With illustrations. (Faber and Faber, 12s. 6d.) Reviewed by G. ELLIOT ANSTRUTHER
WHEN the second volume appears of Professor A. S. Turberville's work on Welbeck, we shall have, from two different pens, the story of that house both as a monastic centre and through the later centuries of secular ownership. It is the abbey proper, from its foundation by Thomas of Cuckney until its surrender in 1538, that has engaged the attention of Dr. Hamilton Thompson, whose account was originally planned as an introductory chapter to the other professor's book, but reached dimensions and importance requiring a separate publication.
Welbeck Abbey is suggested to us, in this detailed and heavily-annotated study, as third of the eleven daughter foundations from Newhouse, its seniors being Alnwick and Easby. Curiously enough, the late Abbot Geudens, C.R.P., in his list of the Newhouse offspring, makes no mention of Welbeck at all. His chronological order is Alnwick, Easby, Barlings, Sulby, and so on: the list is altogether silent as to any Nottinghamshire house. Is Professor Thompson's statement, that the first cornmunity " were presumably sent to Welbeck from Newhouse," thus caution in expression by reason of a doubt, or are we to take it that Abbot Geudens had a strange lapse of memory in regard to one of the English houses of his Order?
Packed as it is with data, in a survey of Welbeck's history during four centuries, this volume is a mine of reference. The closing pages describe what little is left of the monastic fabric, a range of cloister forming part of the basement of the present house.
Pilgrimage, by Dorothy M. Richardson (Dent, 8s. 6d.). Vol. IV of the collected edition of Dorothy Richardson's novels contains Oberland, Dawn's Left Hand, Clear Horizon, and Dimple Hill-this last published for the first time.