The ttev. J. J. McNally Colonel W. G. R.
RETIRED LIVERPOOL PRIEST
The Rev. James Joseph McNally, who died on Monday, in hospital at St. Helens, was parish priest at Penwortham, near Preston, until retiring through bad health a few months age to live at New Langton. He had charge of St. Mary Magdalene's and St. Teresa's Church at Penworthem the latter being built during his period of service to meet the growing needs of Upper Penwortham. He was previously in Liverpool parishes and at Aughton, near Ormskirk, a foreign missionary in South Africa, and chaplain at several mining camps in the United States, also being for a time at Salt Lake City
Rev. B. Wilson
PARISH PRIEST OF STAITHES The death took place at Staithes, on Ash Wednesday, of the Rev. Bernard Wilson, parish priest of the Church of Our Lady, Star of the Sea. Fr. Wilson studied for the priesthood at the English College, Lisbon, and was ordained in 1914. He was curate at the Cathedral,' Middlesbrough, chaplain to the Forces, curate at Whitley. parish priest at St. Mary's, Yams, and later parish priest at Staithes. Requiem Mass was offered at the Star of the Sea Church, Staithes, on Saturday, when over 20 priests were present. The panegyric was delivered by Canon T. Wright, of St. Hilda's, Whitley.
IC cortege travelled over the Yorkshire moors to the Catholic cemetery at Ugthorpe, where the interment took place.
Fr. F. Lacy, S.J.
ONE OF TWENTY CHILDREN
Father Francis Lacy, who died at Richmond, Yorkshire, where he had been in charge of the parish since 1933, spent over twenty years teaching at -St. Michael's College. Leeds. Born in Liverpool in 1874, he was the youngest of a family of twenty children and was educated at St. Francis Xavier's College in that city. Having entered the Society of Jesus on September 7, 1892, he followed the usual course of studies during which he ' taught for five years at St. Ignatius' College, Malta, and was ordained priest at St. Beuno's in 1908.
From 1909-11 he taught at the College of the Holy Family in Cairo, but ill health compelled him to return to England. From 1912 to 1933 he was on the staff of St. Michael's College, Leeds, where by preference he taught the lower forms giving special attention to backward boys.
In February, 1933, he was appointed parish priest of Richmond, Yorkshire, and although for some years his health had not been good he was able to carry out many improvements in the church there.
Fr. C. Malin, S.J.
29 YEARS A MISSIONARY Father Christian Malin, who has died, was horn at Satteins in the Voralherg in 1877, was educated at the Jesuit School at Feldkirch and entered the Society of Jesus in 1897. He completed his theological studies at Valkenberg in Holland and was ordained priest there in 1910.
As a young man. he had always longed for the African Mission and shortly after his ordination he volunteered for the Zambesi Mission. In 1913 he sailed for Africa and was stationed for a short time at Chrishawasha, where he learned the native language. He was sent in 1914 to Driefontein near Gwelo and then commenced for him his life work. Till 1932 he laboured in his native mission and its associated stations, Hama's and Holy Cross, until even his robust health gave way under the strain of the continual journeyings throughout the Chilimanzi Reserve in the visitation of the numerous outschools of which he had charge.
After short spells at Monte Cassino Mission and Makumbi, he retired to St. John's coloured school, a very sick man and there with Father Johanny. a veteran of the old Zambesi Mission, he spent his remaining days until death took him on February 70.
As a Tyrolese, he greatly missed the high lands of the Voralberg, but once he had given himself to the missions, there was no turning back and his cheery good nature made him beloved by his brethren and his native Christians.
Sister Ste. Paulina
MOTHER WAS CURE 'MRS PENITENT
In the 91st yiar of her age and the 66th of her religious profession, Sister Ste. Pauline Chenehon died last week at Holy Trinity Convent, Rromiey, Kent.
Sister St.. Pauline was born in the Isere department of France, where her mother had been a pertpent of the Cure d'Ars. After the death of her mother, she left home by stealth to join the Trinitarian Order at Valence, for her father, much opposed to her plans, had given orders to the station master to issue no travelling ticket to his daughter. However, she accomplished her design with the aid of a friend, and made the journey hidden in a hay-cart. After her profession in 1875 she spent many years teaching in France, and also for a time at Oran in Algeria.
In 1911 she came to England and was given the post of order-mistress at the Bromley convent. During the Great War, when this convent was the refuge of a large number of Belgian exiles, Sr. Chenehon took charge of the education of a group of boys and girls between the ages of seven and eleven
After the war she was given the care of the chapel sacristy, but a few years ago owing to age and failing strength she was allowed to retire from active service and devote herself to prayer and such light occupations as needlework. Always bright and cheeful, Sister Ste. Paulina ended her long life as quietly and simply as she had lived. Her strength was evidently waning; but the end was not realised to be so near. However, feeling her life already almost speed, she sought and was allowed permission to offer herself as a victim for her country and this war-stricken world. She died about a fortnight later.
Solemn Requiem was sung by the parish priest, Dr. Edmund Grady, assisted by Er. Ward as deacon and Fr. Waller as subdeacon.
[The Holy Trinity Convent, Bromley, which Sister Ste. Paulina has served for 30 rears, was founded in 1886 by a community of Trinitarian nuns exiled from France. They brought the Mass to Bromley for the first time since the Reformation and from that day to this they have done incalculable good for the parish. They established a secondary school for girls, which is now complete with such modern equipment CIS a science laboratory and a swimming bath, and is recognised by the University of London. They also built an elementary school for the parish and for many years maintained and staffed it entirely at their awn expense. in latter years the school has been recognised by the educational authorities and thus receives a grantin-old.1 CANON McKENNA BEREAVED Mrs. Mary O'Donnell, mother of the Rev. Patrick O'Donnell, of Tilbury, Essex, and sister of Rev. P. Canon McKenna, Westcliff-on-Sea, died on February 22 at her home, Killiney, Castlegregory, Co. Kerry, Eire. Deceased was in the 81st year of her age.
By the recent death of Lieut.-Colonel Walter George Raleigh Chichester-Constable, Yorkshire loses one of its-most distinguished Catholics. He died at the age of 78, after an illness of several weeks, at Wood Hall, Skirlaugh, home of his eldest son. He was Lord Paramount of the Seigniory of Holderness, and Lord of the Manors of Burton. Constable and Wycliffe, succeeding his mother as heir to this entail in 1871.
Ever interested in military affairs, he was with they3rd King's Liverpool Regiment from 1878 to 1898, and he raised the 2/5th Yorkshire Regiment during the last war. He was educated at Stonyhurst.
Councillor G. Martin
KILLED IN BARNSLEY COLLIERY RESCUE WORK s One of the. 13 men who lost their lives in the Barnsley Main Colliery disaster was Mr. George Martin, Secretary of the Yorkshire Mineworkers' Association, and chairman of the Housing and l'roperty Committee of the Barnsley Corporation. He was killed while engaged in rescue work.
Solemn Requiem Mass at Hollyrood Church, Barnsley, on Saturday last, was attended by the Mayor and Mayoress (Alderman the Rev. and Mrs. D. Allot°, Mr. F. Collinridge, M.P., members and officials of the Town Council, representatives a miners and deputies associations, directors and men of the Barnsley collieries, and members of other public bodies.
Canon W. C. Hudson, celebrant of the Mass, in a tribute to Mr. Martin, spoke of him as a devout man, true to his conscience, who served his country in the last war, and performed noble public work as a member of the Town Council. " When the call for help came to him," said the Canon, " as a miners official he obeyed unhesitantly, and gave his life for others."
The funeral was one of the most impressive ever witnessed in the town, and thousands of people lined the route from church to cemetery.
Mr. Harry Johnson
EXEMPLARY LEEDS PARISHIONER The parishioners of St. Patrick's, Leeds, deeply niourn the foss of the most outstanding layman of the parish, their most ardent worker, Harry Johnson.
For over 25 years he has supported all the many activities organised for the benefit of the parish—The Boy Scouts, The C.Y.M.S., St. Vincent de Paul, The Dramatic Society, and the arranging of Retreats.
Lately, although his health had been greatly impaired by a major operation, he still continued to take a most active part in parochial activities. His final effort was working for the A.T.C. Club Room, which is second to none in the city. He was a pioneer in advancing the sales of Catholic papers.
Mr. R. J. Kelly
Mr. Robert .1. Kelly, some of whose cartoons appeared in the CATHOLIC HERALD before the war, died at Ealing Hospital on Thursday, February 19, after a short illness. He had received the Last Sacraments before entering hospital.
In a career of nearly fifty years on Fleet Street, Mr. Kelly had contributed drawings and writings to the sporting and dramatic press, to weekly and daily newspapers, to the technical press in advertising and poultry marketing, and latterly to the Catholic press. At the time of his death he was as.sociated with the Ditchting Press and was assisting Fr Mullins, 0.P., in the Belgian Sword of the Spirit Movement.
Killed in Action: was Preston .Y.C.W. Secretary
An active lay apostle while serving in the Forces, and first secretary of Preston Y.C.W., Gunner S. Cherry, of Geoffrey Street, Preston, has been killed in action.
The Rev, D. Ryan, of St. Joseph's, Preston, writes: " in the Forces he continued his Catholic Action both by leading others to the Sacraments and by infusing Catholic principles to his environment. I know for a fact that on many an occasion he ran across the fields to an ea-ly Mass to release others from duty to go to a later Mass."
Was Member of Clifton Pro-Cathedral Choir
The death nas occurred at Clifton of Mr. Arthur Morley Cooper, a parishioner of the Pro-Cathedral and formerly a member of the choir His daughter, Sister Mary Gregory. is a novice at La Retraite Convent, Burnham-on-Sea. The Requiem Mass was sung at the Pro-Cathedral on Monday, February 23rd, by Mgr. Canon P. Long.
Sword of the Spirit (Chester)
Miss Barbara Ward will speak at the Chester Forum meeting on Sunday, March I, at 3 p.m., on " New Orders for Europe," in Chester Cathedral Refectory.
Week-end Lenten Retreat to he conducted by Rev. A. de Zulueta, will be held at Dee House, Ursuline Convent, Chester. On Friday, March 6, at 6.30 p.m., Conference and Benediction; Saturday, March 7. 11.30 a.m., Conference; 3.30, p.m., Conference; 6.30 p.m., Conference and Benediction.
Sunday, March 8.-11.30 a.m., Conference; 3.30 p.m., Compline, Conference and Benediction.
Though one of the smallest elementary schools in the borough, St. Mary's Girls' School, Merthyr Tydfil, with 150 pupils, has contributed £567 to the local " Warships Week." Over i10 was realised from the sale of salvage brought in by the children and exchanged by them for Savings Stamps.
When Cardinal Pizeardo came to London, as the Pope's representative for the Coronation of the present King, he stayed at Forbes House, Halkin Street, near Hyde Park Corner, Lord Granard's stately town house which he has now put in the market. It was damaged in the air raids last year, though not severely.
The Rev. Alban Atkins, who has been ill, has returned to his duties in the Cathedral Buildings, Liverpool.