Page 15, 28th August 1936

28th August 1936
Page 15
Page 15, 28th August 1936 — BY THE SOUTHERN SLA
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Organisations: Catholic Church

Share


Related articles

Knights Of St Columba Face Up To Falling Numbers

Page 2 from 27th April 2001

The Youth Confederation's Swimming Gala

Page 18 from 8th October 1937

K.s.c., Brighton

Page 9 from 21st March 1940

Brighton Municipal By-election Brighton Council 277 Are...

Page 19 from 6th December 1935

Catenians At Brighton

Page 15 from 24th June 1938

BY THE SOUTHERN SLA

Brighton's Catholic Interest

Choosing Brighton, this year, as the place of their annual Council, the Knights of St. Columba have made sure that their week-end lot shall be cast in 3Icasant places. With the temporal amenities of the neighbour boroughs, Brighton and Hove, this article has but minor concern. Expressions such as Queen of the South " are disputable. Other Sussex plages have their ittraction. Yet none would deny that those miles of seaboard which to-day an be perambulated from Rottingdean in the east to Hove's western point :onstitute one of the biggest and most diversified of " organized " seafronts in he land.

French and Belgian visitors, making a irst acquaintance with the Front's strength n acres, find Brighton and Hove amazing. Kolossat !" cry fraus and frauleins whose easide holidays have hitherto given them inly a foreign jaunt to Knocke or llankenbergh.

Tilt) Lori!n u11,1 Phati149 1,601 mere extent. To him Brighton is just London-by-the-Sea, a distant suburb in which he imbibes ozone and other refreshment. But even he realizes that to traverse the sea-front from end to end a, takes a bit of doing"; and though he is no explorer he knows that Drighron tam a good dm( 10 show fiim

besides that which can be seen from a

deck chair.

The Religious Side

Outing their busy week-end, the Knights other 'tom parts of the country will loubtless find time to sample something of Irighion's seaside attractiveness: tut it nay be assumed that their closer interest viii lie in those things which associate the own with Catholic life and progress. A urvey of thc Church's strength in the disrict may therefore be of interest. When Dr. Russell—there is a tablet to hat worthy on a house front near the

'alace Pier—" discovered" Brighton in the

ighteenth century, discovered, that is to ay, the health-giving qualities of a small ;ussex fishing town, the Catholic faith was inprovided. Small wonder, for at that ime it was all but proscribed. Eighty .ears aio there was but one mission) St.

ohn the Baptist's, for the whole of the yeat area.

To-day, if we include the chapel at Rottingdearz and bring Brighton and Hove together, there are seven churches and a goodly list of educational and other institutions.

Our Brighton and Hove chinches pay

ribute, between them, to various tastes in .rchitecture. The mother church, St. olm's, throws a classically severe invitaion to the passers-by in Bristol Road, and as a quadrangular simplicity within. Vith St. Mary Magdalen's, in Upper ■ Iorth tea we embrace the Gothic style, S also in the rich-looking church of the :acred Heart in Norton Road; while archiectural " Romanism " gives a good ccount of itself in St. Peter's. At 'reston Park, St. Mary's can hold that its awer dominates the immediate landscape. St St. Joseph's, when sculptors hands sill have completed, some dayi the archi Itet's conception on the decorative side, IC shall have a finished article in which fine position will not bc its only claim D notice.

In Bristol Road But what of the pilgrim interest?

leyond question that lies mainly at St. . , . , Olin's) alld J19 yoins haft 01 oti Solumba delegate should leave out of his tinerray this the oldest of our post-ReformMon churches in Brighton. The very simslicity of the building has something allurng about it. There is an "atmosphere of ther days," conjuring the picture of worhipping faithful in generations long gone. Let it not be thought, however, that St.

6Im the Raptist1s ministers to a parish ncient in its ways. It is a centre of igorous doings.

The visitor, when he has finished his devotions, can betake himself across the road. and through a small entry way.

to the Hall. There he will find the proof of organized activity in a number

of directions: Catholic Action in full

Two pots of memorial interest the pitrims may be directed to in St. John's. in he aisle Op the epistle side they will find n inscription to Mrs. Fitzherbert, the 7atholic wife of an English Sovereign. That I it tdy ts buried nearlay. In Old Steyne the '.M.C.A. occupies the house in which she

welt, and there, too, at the side of the .uilding, a tablet will be found by which er name is kept in mind.

Somebody else, also, should be kept in tind after a visit to St. John's — John ;dward Carew, a sculptor too little known 3 present-day cfiiheiles. The statuary roup preserved in the baptistry can be at .nee an example of his work and a lemorial of the man himself. And if le admiring Knight should have come rom London, he can have, when he gets ack, a closer look than he has yet Nom1 upon anollicr of Carew s niteeg the panel of the Death of Nelson on the Outh side of the plinth in Trafalgar quare.

institutional Of Catholic institutions in the district aere are, as has been said, a goodly num er. At the head of the educational entres, so far as bogs are concerned, is le spacious Xaverian College at Queen's 'ark, with its fine views of the Channel nd the Downs. As for convents and omes under women religious, these are 3 be found in various parts of the area. 'here are Sisters of Mercy, Sisters of

'haritv of Nevers_ Sisters nf St Martha

functions is to have its setting, the stranger from without the gates will hardly recognize, in the new-made glories of part of that now extensive fabric, the one-time royal stables which for so long we knew, transformed, as Brighton's Dome. That dome they will not confuse with the cen tral composition of Mc Pavilion Meg,

about which. and its satellites, Sydney

Smith made the unkind suggestion of maternity on the part of St. Paul's!

The Brangwyn Gift Time will he short for indoor sightseeing; otherwise the Knights could be pointed to a good deal of interest on the ar1ibcti SI e in the galleries hoth al Brighton and at Hove. Brighton, in this

connection, is happy in a close association

with the work of one of the most distinguished modern artists, and a Catholic to boot—Frank Brangwyn, R.A.

It was at Brighton that Mr. Brangwyn

OXt101110d R jAMO htS large-scale wort and his generous gift has endowed the Corporation with a complete set of his etchings.

Let us close on a more spiritual note. Religious influences, for a great many years, have been strong in Brighton, more liattlelarlY oh the " Pith gidt of Angli can life. When the Knights come upon such well-known landmarks as St. Bartholomew's, St. Martin's, St. Michael's, the Annunciation, and other temples of advanced views, they can reflect with gratitude that those same churches, within living mei119111 IY n1 many onYri

into the Catholic ranks and priesthood.

Philip Fletcher, founder of the Guild of Our Lady of Ransom; Greene, Baker, Nugent, Hinde, Cocks—these are but some of the names of honour in the golden stream.

G. E. A.

THE STORY OF THE KNIGHTS

The Order of the Knights of St. Columba, established in 1919, is a British Fraternal Order of men who are ractisin5 Catholics. It was started in Glasgow. as a result of the work done by the Knights of St. Columbus in England and France during the Great War, and is modelled on its American contemporary, with whom the most cordial relations exist. The objects are crystallised in the following: To tit a lay Assoeiation of Catholic showing due reverence in all things to the Bishops of the Catholic Church and submitting to their dire!ttness and control in all matters pertaining to their judiRdietion as Ordinance with entire loyalty to the Holy See, (2) To promote the moral, intellectual and material advancement of its mentlIers and of Catholics generally.

(3) To co-operate unto kindred and other Catholic orrisatious in slice 01 the foregoing okjects.

and the fundamental virtues are Charity, Unity and Fraternity. The inspiration of a few men in Glasgow has united thousands of men under the banner of St. Columba, and given strength and courage in the fight for truth arid right and support of Christian liberty

and Nice.

Wide Extension During the seventeen years of its existence over three hundred active councils have been erected, and its activities have spread throughout Great Britain to Malta and the Near East. The Order has the approbation of the Hierarchy and it has l)een hlessed by His Holiness the Pope on numerous occasions.

Through its several Provinces, the Order

has been instrumental in rendering assistance to the bishops, and it is foremost in promoting Action among its members. There is a juvenile section which caters for thc Jouncl training and recreation of boys from school-leaving age until manhood.

Non-Political Body

The organisation is non-political. Essentially democratic, it comprises all sorts of men and provides unbounded opportunities for mutual service.

Much could be written of the work at tempted and accomplished but the cause of the growth and solidarity of the move ment has been the quiet, constant and unseen service which is being rendered to the Church, the community and the individual. Such an association, with its deep rami Nations, needs a governing hody, Atitl units each year to record the past and de

cide the future.

A special train leaves Victoria at 5.13 p.m. on Saturday September 5, fare 4s., and arrives in time for the banquet. Full details of the Order and the social arrangements for the convention may be had from tliG DiliCall, at JO, V1C10fIR Street, s.w.i




blog comments powered by Disqus