Page 15, 28th January 1938

28th January 1938
Page 15
Page 15, 28th January 1938 — A SILVER JUBILEE AT CLACTON
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Brevities

Page 15 from 14th January 1938

Twin Sisters

Page 6 from 14th December 1951

Triple Jubilee

Page 7 from 8th June 1951

Bishops' Engagements

Page 10 from 19th July 1974

Iimmisishcm Engagements

Page 8 from 20th December 1974

A SILVER JUBILEE AT CLACTON

On Friday last there was celebrated the silver jubilee of Profession of Sister Mary Clement, Superior and matron of the convent and hospital of St. Michael at Clacton-on-Sea. Clergy, secular and regular, and representatives of local communities. Sisters of Mercy from many dioceses assembled for the occasion, arid friends of the hospital, Catholic and nonCatholic, were among the large attendance. A Missa cantata was celebrated by Fr. Cuthbcsrt, O.F.M. (Woodford), assisted by Fr. Godfrey, 0.F.M., the sermon being preached by the Rev. Raymond M. O'Flynn, M.A., of the Catholic Missionary Society.

In afternoon the Ladies' Aid Society gave the Superior £1,000 towards the endowment of a bed for a cripple child. The cheque was presented by the Presi dent, Councillor Mrs. F. E. While. An address was read by the Treasurer, Mrs. Probst, who also presented, in the name of the Committee, some recent publications on Orthopaedic surgery, and other medical works.

Helpers, Past and Present

On behalf of Mother Clement, Fr. O'Flynn thanked the Ladies' Aid Society. He used the occasion to tender the thanks of the community, not only to the Society and all who co-operated with it, but to those who in various ways had helped in the work of the Hospital. " It would he invidious," he said, " to mention names where all were worthy of honour, but it will be readily understood if I refer to Mr. B. Whitchurch Howell, of Harley Street, and Mr. D. G. Bown, of Clacton, who have given the Hospital the benefit of their skill in the difficult department of Orthopaedic Surgery."

Father O'Flynn referred also to Dr. Jenner Clarke, who had served the hospital for many years, and was now practising in another part of the country, as well as to the first physician, Dr. Carlyle Beatty, and Mr. F. J. Bacon, one of the oldest benefactors and helpers, both now passed to their reward_ He thanked also the managers of hotels and business firms who from time to time had placed their premises at the disposal of the Ladies' Aid Committee, and the members of the Rotary Club and other residents who provided outings or other entertainments for the children. He alluded to the services rendered by the St. John Ambulance Brigade and other societies, nor did he forget the press, who on all occasions had given publicity to efforts for the benefit of the institution. Fr. O'Flynn likewise thanked the local clergy. represented by Frs. Gadsden and Cane, 0.S.C.: the Franciscan Fathers represented by Frs. Cuthbert and Godfrey, 0.F.M., and all who had either come personally or sent their felicitations, as well as the friends of Mother Clement, who had honoured the occasion by gifts and donations.

BREviA.aiEs WANTED,—Sister Marie Wirkefride Gill writes to make an appeal for subscriptions to provide breviaries and missais for some of the sisters of her Congregation. Answers may be (tea:tressed to her c/o Burns Oates and Washbourne, Ltd., 46, Newgate Street, E.C.




blog comments powered by Disqus