Page 6, 28th October 2005

28th October 2005
Page 6
Page 6, 28th October 2005 — LIVESREMEMBERED

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.


Locations: Durham, Hexham, Newcastle


Related articles

(1988-90), And Then Parish Priest Of St Joseph's In...

Page 7 from 1st June 2007

Lives Remembered

Page 5 from 11th January 2008


Page 8 from 14th November 1980


Page 3 from 24th September 1993


Fr Joseph Marren, priest of the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle, was born on August 7, 1932. He died on October 19, aged 73.

Joseph Marren was born in Annfield Plain, County Durham. He entered Ushaw College to begin his training for the priesthood in September 1945 and was ordained at Ushaw College on July 13, 1958, by Bishop Cunningham.

His first appointment as an assistant priest was at St Cuthbert’s, Stockton on Tees. He was then appointed to St Patrick, Felling, with particular responsibility for the new church of St Augustine at Leam Lane. On January 23, 1969, he moved to the new church and presbytery at St Augustine’s and stayed there until July 31, 1971, as assistant priest. His next appointment was to St Cuthbert’s, Kenton, and he was then appointed as chaplain to the Apostleship of the Sea from October 1973 to January 18, 1978.

In 1978 he was appointed to St Paul’s, Alnwick as parish priest, where he remained until June 1991, when he was appointed parish priest at Our Lady and St Cuthbert at Prudhoe, until he retired in August 2000.

In retirement he still remained quite active, offering supply in many parishes around the diocese. In recent years he lived at Immaculate Heart of Mary Presbytery at West Monkseaton and was active in both the parish and local deanery until fairly recently.

In recent years Fr Marren had been quite ill, but always seem to recover well. In recent months he had undergone major surgery once again, but was improving.

On the morning of Wednesday, October 19, he suffered a heart attack while driving his car. He was rushed to North Tyneside General Hospital but he died shortly afterwards.

blog comments powered by Disqus